Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

2021 telluride with brake controller

Has anyone installed an interior mounted brake controller inside their 2021 telluride. Ours did not come with towing package from the factory but the dealer did the hitch and harness as an accessory... it has the 7-pin connector. The brake controller companies don't seem to have anything in their databases yet and I haven't heard back from Tekonsha. I'd expect that they'd sell a 2 connector adapter cable and have details on mounting... but nothing yet. We have a popup trailer with electronic brakes and so the 7-pin wiring is a must.

playared

I an currently installing an electric brake controller in our 2021 Telluride. The factory plug for the brake controller is behind the dash fuse panel wrapped in the other wiring. Little hard to spot. It is a 4 pole connector. Ours came with the matching plug with 4 unterminated wires. If you need the part number for that harness I can get it for you. I used crimping butt connectors to connect it to my current brake controller harness/plug (Tuson DirecLink Brake Controller).

The factory 7-pin in our Telluride does not have a relay to disconnect the 12V line to the trailer when the Telluride is shut off - it stays live. I'm installing a relay to disconnect that line when the Telluride is shut off. Don't want a discharge/dead trailer battery in the trailer to drain the Telluride battery during a stop when the trailer is connected.

OP
GreenLantern
Thread Starter #3
Thanks! - appreciate the info on the location of the connector. I do have the harness with the pigtails but assume that a connectorized version will be available soon from Tekonsha, etc.. But good point about the 12 V and the relay.

chiflado

Newbie here...so if you get the 2021 Telluride with factory installed tow package, does it come with the brake controller? Or do you still need to install a 3rd party brake controller?

Jimbo

Newbie here...so if you get the 2021 Telluride with factory installed tow package, does it come with the brake controller? Or do you still need to install a 3rd party brake controller?
The factory tow package does not come with a brake control at least mine didn’t. I used a Curt Echo plug and play brake control.
Jim

chiflado

I an currently installing an electric brake controller in our 2021 Telluride. The factory plug for the brake controller is behind the dash fuse panel wrapped in the other wiring. Little hard to spot. It is a 4 pole connector. Ours came with the matching plug with 4 unterminated wires. If you need the part number for that harness I can get it for you. I used crimping butt connectors to connect it to my current brake controller harness/plug (Tuson DirecLink Brake Controller).

The factory 7-pin in our Telluride does not have a relay to disconnect the 12V line to the trailer when the Telluride is shut off - it stays live. I'm installing a relay to disconnect that line when the Telluride is shut off. Don't want a discharge/dead trailer battery in the trailer to drain the Telluride battery during a stop when the trailer is connected.

Could you please put a description/model# for the relay you are installing? I would like to do the same but I have no idea what to get. Thanks.

Mossman

What is the part number for the pigtail harness please

playared

The pigtail harness part number is S9F67 AC060 TRLR BRK CONT HARNESS.

I used a 30/40 A 14VDC relay by AGT Part Number MAH-112-C-1. They are on eBay and other places on web.
I put the relay in the compartment with the jack. The wire for the 12v to trailer connector passes through the compartment under that accessed by removing the cover under the vehicle.
There is a wiring harness that passes between the two compartments in place making it easy the pass the wires through. I powered the relay from the 12V power receptacle on the side panel above the jack compartment. It is live with running and dead with switch off. The receptacle is removeable from the interior with the standard receptacle removal tool without the need to remove the panel. The receptacle has push on connectors so I used two push on's that goes one female to two male lugs.

mkbrey

Has anyone installed an interior mounted brake controller inside their 2021 telluride. Ours did not come with towing package from the factory but the dealer did the hitch and harness as an accessory... it has the 7-pin connector. The brake controller companies don't seem to have anything in their databases yet and I haven't heard back from Tekonsha. I'd expect that they'd sell a 2 connector adapter cable and have details on mounting... but nothing yet. We have a popup trailer with electronic brakes and so the 7-pin wiring is a must.
I had a wireless controller put on my R Pod camper. Installed by dealer. No problems working well so far.