Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Another Oddity

GNR

Unless I am missing something, with all the bells and whistles and warnings this SUV offers, you can get out of the vehicle and leave your head lights on with no warning. Maybe they shut off automatically after a while without the car running? This is with the lights in the full "on" position rather than in "Auto".

They do shut off after awhile even in the On position. My wife forgets and leaves the lights on all the time because she manually turns on the lights out of habit.

They do shut off after awhile even in the On position. My wife forgets and leaves the lights on all the time because she manually turns on the lights out of habit.
A few years back I bought a new Passat. I (stupidly) assumed the headlights turned off automatically as well. Picked it up on Saturday, parked it in the garage and left the headlights in the "ON" position. Sunday morning, I had a very dead battery.

OP
G

GNR

Thread Starter #4
Just seems very out of place in a vehicle that warns you about everything. Every car I have ever had a warning signal if you had left your lights on or keys in the ignition.

I suppose if you put the lights on "auto" and left it there that would solve it (assuming they shut off when the car if shut off?).

Most new cars these days will automatically turn off the lights if you forget them.

I agree, a warning would be nice, but if the lights shut off automatically anyway, is the warning really necessary?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

It seems the lights, in the ON position, shut off automatically after the same time delay as when in AUTO position.

Don't know if this is trim level specific... works this way on my SXP

FWIW

OP
G

GNR

Thread Starter #8
how long is the shut off delay (a minute or so, or longer?)

With the headlight delay selected:
- turning the vehicle off, after opening & closing the driver's door; the headlights stay on less than 30 seconds (didn't test how long, but lights stay on longer if you stay in the vehicle and/or leave the driver's door open). Tested both in AUTO position and in ON position.

If headlight delay is not selected:
- then in both positions, the headlights immediately turn off when the vehicle is turned off.

Seems only difference is:
- in AUTO position - you drive with only DRL in the daytime when conditions are bright enough (no running lights)
- ON position - you drive with full headlights & running lights (& fog lights, if equipped/selected) all the time

So no need for a warning signal.

OP
G

GNR

Thread Starter #10
Perfect. Thanks. I'll likely just leave them on all the time then.