Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Anyone with a trickle charger & Battery Discharge Warning

Even after letting the car sit for only 2 days the trickle charger indicates between 25%-50% charge state. If it sits for a week the charger indicates 25% charge. I know the Telluride has telematics, wireless key fob receiver and other things that may remains on/sleep, but the drain seems excessive! Even the iPhone can last days on standby with its puny battery. Anyone else with a trickle charger see the same thing?

I also get the following warning on the Infotainment screen when I have it in the "accessory" position with the radio on. At first I thought it might just be a nag screen, but maybe there is something to the warning?

IMG_1001.jpg

I guess I'll need to load test the battery to see if it's sufficiently holding a charge.

I get that message all the time, even from listening to the radio with the motor off after driving it

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
I get that message all the time, even from listening to the radio with the motor off after driving it
Yeah, that's true...I get that after driving too....I guess it's just a nag screen!

I use a Battery Tender and the first time I connected it, the battery took almost 1.5 days to get to full charge. Now when I connect the Battery Tender up after a few days of non-use of the vehicle, it will take just a few hours to get to full charge. Now the BT only uses blinky LED lights and not an actual display measurement.

The pop up message appears regardless of battery SOC and I think is just an idiot warning to users that the battery is draining!! :)

OP
J
Thread Starter #6
I use a Battery Tender and the first time I connected it, the battery took almost 1.5 days to get to full charge. Now when I connect the Battery Tender up after a few days of non-use of the vehicle, it will take just a few hours to get to full charge. Now the BT only uses blinky LED lights and not an actual display measurement.

The pop up message appears regardless of battery SOC and I think is just an idiot warning to users that the battery is draining!! :)
This sound like what mine does. I guess the infotainment system/accessories has the potential to quickly drain the battery (relatively speaking).

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
This sound like what mine does. I guess the infotainment system/accessories has the potential to quickly drain the battery (relatively speaking).
When working with the fuses to identify what was on or off with the vehicle. The infotainment system fuse was on 24/7...... lol

OP
J
Thread Starter #8
Yeah
When working with the fuses to identify what was on or off with the vehicle. The infotainment system fuse was on 24/7...... lol
Crazy, I guess that's what happens with an always connected car. Definitely something to keep in mind if you park your Telluride for an extended period. AGM batteries always need to be charged to over 50% capacity for longevity.

csmab

Any issues with using a trickle charger the plugs into the accessory power port in the front console?

I only use a battery tender that connects to the battery terminals. I don’t have experience with the 12V accessory type.

OP
J
Thread Starter #11
Any issues with using a trickle charger the plugs into the accessory power port in the front console?
Yes, doesn’t work. The cigarette plug is “switched off” a little after the engine is turned off.