Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Appleplay troubles

kandbandm

We tried putting appleplay onto our new Telluride. It works just as long as it has the usb cord attached (using it for the maps app). We followed all directions on user guide but the directions just seems to end. It's strange. Anyhow, works great but the map icon is gone once the usb cord is disconnected. Any insight?

Apple CarPlay? It only works with the USB cable. How else were you expecting it to work?

@jazzyone is correct.
You need to have the cable connected to the phone to transfer data from the phone to the display on the the vehicle.
No cable plugged in, no Carplay.

I will say tho, I do wish it was a little easier to get BACK to car play if you exit it to do something else on the KIA side of things. Currently, I have to go back to the main menu, swipe to the car play app icon, and boom im back. Is there an easier way that anyone goes about? Thanks.

Both Carplay and Android Auto required being plugged in.

I will say tho, I do wish it was a little easier to get BACK to car play if you exit it to do something else on the KIA side of things. Currently, I have to go back to the main menu, swipe to the car play app icon, and boom im back. Is there an easier way that anyone goes about? Thanks.
There is a faster way! Press and hold the Star button below the screen. Configure it to launch CarPlay as a short cut. This is what I do.

There is a faster way! Press and hold the Star button below the screen. Configure it to launch CarPlay as a short cut. This is what I do.
you can also toggle the “mode” button on the steering wheel to move between different options, ie AM, FM, XM, CarPlay....

I would love to do that setting but my system doesn’t offer me the ability to set carplay as the custom button :((.

Attachments

The Star button is only available on EX and SX

Well, its working for me, let me take some pics when I get home. At work now, and the vehicle is safely ensconced in the garage at the moment.

Thanks Tim! BUT, I just figured it out! It's not called Car Play, it's called 'PHONE PROJECTION'... so, now I know. For anyone else with this question, keep it in mind. So now with 'phone projection' selected, the star button takes me directly to Apple Car Play. Boom.

Thanks Tim! BUT, I just figured it out! It's not called Car Play, it's called 'PHONE PROJECTION'... so, now I know. For anyone else with this question, keep it in mind. So now with 'phone projection' selected, the star button takes me directly to Apple Car Play. Boom.
Yep … that's it!! Kia probably genericizes the function to accommodate both CarPlay and Android Auto. I've seen the same on Chevy vehicles.