Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Black out grill?

Hey guys I'm contemplating having g the front grill and "TELLURIDE" dipped black.
Jas any one done this yet?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I'm going to black out the two pieces above and below in a wrap. And other parts. Ill post pictures when I get them finished. There was one photo on here somewhere that everything was black out and matted, trying to find it again. It looked sharp!.

OP
italsal
Thread Starter #3
I'm going to black out the two pieces above and below in a wrap. And other parts. Ill post pictures when I get them finished. There was one photo on here somewhere that everything was black out and matted, trying to find it again. It looked sharp!.
Awesome! Ya I was alsonthingjng the top and bottom gloss and the midsection matte

OP
italsal
Thread Starter #10
So how does one go about dipping the lettering themselves? What the process? Is it done while the letters are still on the vehicle or are they removed for the applicaiton of the dip ?
You can mask off the car and isolate just the parts you want dipped. You want to leave about half inch around the part. When plasti dip cures/ drys it turn to rubber. You can roll it and peel the excess...

I can create a how to when I do it?

You can mask off the car and isolate just the parts you want dipped. You want to leave about half inch around the part. When plasti dip cures/ drys it turn to rubber. You can roll it and peel the excess...

I can create a how to when I do it?

I've never done it but the results are pretty cool looking for sure. How does plasti-dip hold up to winter weather?

OP
italsal
Thread Starter #12
I've never done it but the results are pretty cool looking for sure. How does plasti-dip hold up to winter weather?
Not bad. The key is layers!
I did my winter wheels on my s4 and sprayed 7 layers. In order to easily remove it..

NICE! For the grille, did you remove it from the vehicle or did you leave it on and mask it? I haven't dug too deep yet, but it looks tricky to remove it so far. If you did remove it, could you provide any tips? Thanks much.
Thanks! However, I'm trying to remove the grille in order to dip the entire thing black. I found an old article about removing a grille on a Sorento, maybe it will be the same or similar on the Telly: https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/...-replacement-blackout-grill-plastidip.137905/

Did u plastidip that yourself
Finally had some time to dip my Telly grille! I saw a video on YT of a guy applying the dip with the grille still on his vehicle, so I said why not vs. remove the grille, dip, reinstall. So, here’s what I did in a nutshell:

First I removed the badge, was pretty easy. I used a tool for bicycle tube installs, worked perfectly and popped off safely.

Then I masked near the grille edge and then used newspaper to mask the front end off. After all of it, I still had some minor overspray so heads up on that. No biggie, it wipes off easy.

Next I sprayed a light first coat. I don’t like chrome so I did the entire grille. After 30-40 min Each coat, I did some heavier applications while keeping it nice and even.

Lastly I snapped the badge back on, pulled the masking tape off and pulled off the excess dip.

Here’s some detail shots, I’ll post a bit further away pic tmrw. Sorry, my garage is a wreck right now haha.

Attachments

Devdub12

How did you keep from getting spray into the radiator? Did you put something behind it?

How did you keep from getting spray into the radiator? Did you put something behind it?
Hey, there's only 2 areas where the spray can get through.. the rest is solid plastic. I made sure not to spray those areas as close and did lighter layers from further back. Otherwise, all is good.