Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

CONSISTENT TROUBLE WITH REAR CLIMATE CONTROLS

Joe

I have just sent a second notice to KIA concerning a continuing problem I am having with the rear climate controls on my Telluride. KIA was suppose to respond to me within 48 hours, and that was over a week ago. I was hoping someone on this KIA forum might be able to direct me to a better way to get their (KIA's) attention. I've had it to the dealer already for an attempted repair, but they struck out, because they think it's a vehicle software problem, and a software patch hasn't been issued yet. I'm posting this here, just to give all of my fellow Telluride owners a heads up on some possible future problems with the electrical/software systems in this new vehicle. The email I sent, and the attached photo of the affected area are listed below.

"I bought this vehicle on 03/12/2019. The rear climate control refuses to stay turned off. I used all the correct steps listed in the vehicle manual to turn off (disable) the rear climate control button. I did this in conjunction with using all of the assigned controls on the front panel on the dash, the front monitor (plus I activated the "Locked Control" button on this monitor) and the rear climate control panel that's located in the ceiling over the second row captains chairs. When it activates on its own, it always ends up at fan speed 2 (of 6) and in the "Face-Level" mode. It never varies from these settings. My problem is the rear climate control will not stayed turned off. It deactivates (turns off) for intermittent periods of time, and then mysteriously turns on again at the settings I listed above. Also please note that there's no explanation anywhere in the vehicle manual what the function of the locked control button is. I'm left to assume what it does, but it most certainly doesn't keep the rear climate control off when it's activated. I don't want it running unless I actually need it, as it's more than a little annoying to hear the constant fan noise, and is a needless draw on the vehicle's electrical system. I'm at a loss how to keep it turned off, and would appreciate any advice, or repair you could make so that it works as it was designed to.

Attached is a photo of the Rear Climate Control settings it continually resets to, after both the front and rear panels are turned off. How can this be happening, as I certainly don't want it running in the rear of the Telluride at all times. Also, what is the "Lock Control" button for? There's is no explanation anywhere in the vehicle manual. Joe"

TELLURIDE CONTROL PANEL.jpg

Joe, sorry if I misread your post but did you turn off the rear climate by pushing the "OFF" button in the rear control panel?

The Lock Controls feature basically prevents anyone in the rear from changing the temperature settings.

OP
Joe

Joe

Thread Starter #3
Bob, Thank you for your reply! Yes, I did turn off the "Off" button on the rear control panel. I also did everything the manual instructs, to turn off the rear climate control. Something in the software (or whatever) keeps overriding every action I try to take. Nothing works. :-( Oh well...….All I can hope for is that I eventually hear from someone knowledgeable from KIA. I'm fairly confident that I'm not going to be the only one with developing electrical/software problems. It's a problem I can live with, but it's annoying for sure, and I don't want to have to; after having made such a large investment in a new vehicle. :-( P.S. Thank you for the explanation of what the 'lock control" button is suppose to do. It would have been nice if they documented that explanation in the vehicle manual.

Thanks for the share Joe.

I'm going over my manual here just to confirm and it states to turn off the rear climate, you need to push on the REAR button located on the front climate control panel and OFF button on the audio or multiscreen.

Also are you using the UVO App to start your car?

Did you email or call Kia Customer Support? I would have this issue escalated to management

OP
Joe

Joe

Thread Starter #6

I'm going over my manual here just to confirm and it states to turn off the rear climate, you need to push on the REAR button located on the front climate control panel and OFF button on the audio or multiscreen.

OP
Joe

Joe

Thread Starter #7
Thank you for your reply. I have done everything it states in the manual, also turned off both front and rear climate control settings completely. It turns off for varying and intermittent periods of time, and then turns itself right back on. My UVO only unlocks and locks the doors, as I have the S model without the remote engine start function. Nothing works. :)

OP
Joe

Joe

Thread Starter #8
Did you email or call Kia Customer Support? I would have this issue escalated to management
I have attempted to contact KIA support online twice. I have received two confirmation numbers, but no actual return call or email. I've also had it into the dealership, and they knew even less than I did. Not necessarily their problem, as it's a totally new model. The service manager did say they might get a software patch for this problem at some point in the future.

OP
Joe

Joe

Thread Starter #9
Joe, sorry if I misread your post but did you turn off the rear climate by pushing the "OFF" button in the rear control panel?

The Lock Controls feature basically prevents anyone in the rear from changing the temperature settings.
Bob, Thank you for your reply! Yes, I did turn off the "Off" button on the rear control panel. I also did everything the manual instructs, to turn off the rear climate control. Something in the software (or whatever) keeps overriding every action I try to take. Nothing works. :-( Oh well...….All I can hope for is that I eventually hear from someone knowledgeable from KIA. I'm fairly confident that I'm not going to be the only one with developing electrical/software problems. It's a problem I can live with, but it's annoying for sure, and I don't want to have to; after having made such a large investment in a new vehicle. :-( P.S. Thank you for the explanation of what the 'lock control" button is suppose to do. It would have been nice if they documented that explanation in the vehicle manual.

OP
Joe

Joe

Thread Starter #10
I have attempted to contact KIA support online twice. I have received two confirmation numbers, but no actual return call or email. I've also had it into the dealership, and they knew even less than I did. Not necessarily their problem, as it's a totally new model. The service manager did say they might get a software patch for this problem at some point in the future.

Thank you for your reply. I have done everything it states in the manual, also turned off both front and rear climate control settings completely. It turns off for varying and intermittent periods of time, and then turns itself right back on. My UVO only unlocks and locks the doors, as I have the S model without the remote engine start function. Nothing works. :)
The S has remote start, it's under Climate Control on the app.

kia-telluride-app.jpg

Call Kia at 1 (800) 333-4542 and tell them you have not been called back in weeks

OP
Joe

Joe

Thread Starter #14
Call Kia at 1 (800) 333-4542 and tell them you have not been called back in weeks
Thank you for your reply. My first request to them was on April 2nd, and the second one today. I'm trying to be patient, but with a new model that just came out, you would think they would want to tamp down any initial production concerns with a reasonably quick reply. Obviously, I was wrong.

Thank you for your reply. My first request to them was on April 2nd, and the second one today. I'm trying to be patient, but with a new model that just came out, you would think they would want to tamp down any initial production concerns with a reasonably quick reply. Obviously, I was wrong.
I agree

jaybee74

Please keep us posted Joe... We are having the same exact problem with the rear air consistently resetting to the same settings from the original post (upper air, one into cool/blue, and 2 for fan). Dealership service center has not been able to figure anything out - I have not had a chance to contact Kia yet. Hopefully they come out with a software update soon.

mob

Only thing I could recommend as a band aid is to pull the fuse to disable it for now while they search for a software fix.

OP
Joe

Joe

Thread Starter #18
Please keep us posted Joe... We are having the same exact problem with the rear air consistently resetting to the same settings from the original post (upper air, one into cool/blue, and 2 for fan). Dealership service center has not been able to figure anything out - I have not had a chance to contact Kia yet. Hopefully they come out with a software update soon.
Thank you for your reply! It was very reassuring to hear that someone else is having the same identical problem. They've sold tens of thousands of Tellurides the first month, so it's fairly certain many others will also have to deal with it. I too, went to the dealership where I bought the vehicle (50 miles away) with no luck. The service manager said the same thing (couldn't duplicate the problem) and even if he could, would have to wait for a software patch to come in. It's too bad he couldn't tell me that over the phone (as I already suspected that) and would have saved me a half day of dealer/service nonsense, a quarter tank of gas, and 100 needless miles driven. I was led to believe they could take care of it that day. :-( I've contacted KIA on 04/02 & 04/08, still with no response. I have no intention to listening to a fan blowing in the rear of this SUV for the life of the vehicle, and will most certainly keep you posted when I finally hear from them. Thank you again for replying, as I'm now, not the only one experiencing this very annoying problem.

OP
Joe

Joe

Thread Starter #19
Only thing I could recommend as a band aid is to pull the fuse to disable it for now while they search for a software fix.
Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I'll put up with it for now, until I finally hear from someone in KIA who knows what they're talking about. To date, that still hasn't happened. :-(

mob

Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I'll put up with it for now, until I finally hear from someone in KIA who knows what they're talking about. To date, that still hasn't happened. :-(
The one labelled RR SEAT (LH left hand and RH right hand). I would just pull them personally but looks like you might lose some other back seat functionality too if both pulled. Sounds annoying what is happening to you.
  • RR SEAT (LH) 25 A 2ND Air Ventilation Seat Control Module
  • LH, 2ND Seat Warmer Control, Module LH, 2ND Seat LH Reclining Folding Actuator