Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

DON'T you ever accidentally turn off the engine with "Drive" engaged

Roquito

If you do this, the vehicle somehow assumes it's still on and once you put it in "Park" and get off, the music and the AC vents will continue to run, discharging your battery. The worse part is, if you walk away and return after a few minutes, the car will be locked and you key remote will not unlock it. The only way around is to open the back door and let yourself in.

Have you seen this? I have reported this to Kia and have not heard back yet

If you do this, the vehicle somehow assumes it's still on and once you put it in "Park" and get off, the music and the AC vents will continue to run, discharging your battery. The worse part is, if you walk away and return after a few minutes, the car will be locked and you key remote will not unlock it. The only way around is to open the back door and let yourself in.

Wow thanks for the tip. Never heard of this problem before.

ucinn

Staff Member
Very bizarre, do you do this often? :)

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
I've turned my car off in drive and put it in park a few times as I am not use to a quite car. Most of my vehicles are modified sports cars or loud motorcycles haha.

I however, have not had the same issues as you have with getting locked out.

Interesting bug, can't say that I've done this before.

I tried this this morning, turned the engine off in Drive, then shifted to park and low and behold, similar problem! I didn't go to the extent of locking myself out but I can reproduce something similar.

Normally, if I have the radio on and turn off the engine the infotainment system will stay ON until I open the door. Once I open the door, all accessories turn off.

When I turn off the engine in DRIVE and then shift to PARK, the radio & infotainment system stays on, even if I open the door. This will likely lead to the bug you saw. Another difference, the little key fob light comes. Gotta search for what that means but I'm guessing it doesn't detect my key fob. To clear both problems I just restart the engine in PARK.

This is not a concern for me because I am conditioned to not do this through decades of driving, but nonetheless, it appears to be a bug that is reproducible.

If everyone doesn't have this bug, may be it's some timer setting you and I have in common or affect a specific trim level. I have an EX, what trim do you have?.

I've turned my car off in drive and put it in park a few times as I am not use to a quite car. Most of my vehicles are modified sports cars or loud motorcycles haha.

I however, have not had the same issues as you have with getting locked out.
I didn't check, but I think you have to have at least your radio on..

TM87

Safety issue!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say this is a bug but more of a safety feature that makes sure all the aux continues to stay on in the event you accidentally hit the Engine start button while driving. Otherwise your steering column will lock and you'll loose control of the car.

Either way I'm curious to hear what Kia has to say once you hear back from them.

OP
R

Roquito

Thread Starter #12
No word from Kia yet. I have the EX trim and does it every time. I shut off the engine like this about once a week, just used to doing it in other cars (standard, not automatic gearbox)