Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Door Dent Protection?

I've done a search and can't find anything on this.

Does anyone know if there's a kit that can be purchased to add horizontal trim strips to the door panels to protect against door dings?

Granted, the funky panel shapes on the doors themselves don't lend themselves to an easy solution, but after five weeks of ownership, I got my first driver side (2nd row door) ding as a gift from some room temp IQ who parked beside me at the supermarket yesterday. Mutter mutter, curse curse...

It's bound to happen, but with my prior SUV, it had fairly robust side trim components that made it pretty much impossible to put a dent in the door as a result fo someone opening their vehicle's door in proximity to it. I'm trying to find something similar I can add to the Telluride. If anyone knows of anything, guidance is greatly appreciated. TIA

OP
CDPond
Thread Starter #3
You can always get a magnetic guard that you can install and take off in those tight situations.

https://www.amazon.com/Door-Guard-Magnetic-Protector-Protection/dp/B0182JDE3A

This one would have a lot larger protection area than those plastic strips.
Thank you for replying. Yes, I'd seen a few variations of those when I was researching options both in Amazon and eBay. I also tried Ali, but since the vehicle isn't marketed in Asia, they don't seem to carry anything targetted towards the Tellurdie.

I'm looking for something that's permanent, and doesn't look like a giant band-aid or maxi-pad. The Ron Popeil "set it and forget it" kind of simplicity. Joking aside, other than aesthetics and not forgetting it being left in place on the passenger side, it's paint damage that I would be worried about. Repeatedly slapping on and then pulling off a magnetic strip of that size would be a serious paint abrasion risk, and it would be dead simple for someone to steal if they wanted to take it.

I had found a product that's made in versions for both the RAV4 and a Tesla sedan with a price tag around $120 CAD for the set of four strips. Door Dent Protection Product
It's a permanent adhesive backed black and chrome strip that runs along the side of all four passenger doors, and it looked decent enough... though the location where they show it installed on the RAV4 is pretty useless, as the bulge of the door occurs about a foot above where they placed the strips. I contacted the vendor, but alas, no such luck with the Telluride. Tomorrow will entail doing a search to see if I can find a Chinese manufacturer that might be willing to take on the project.

The quest continues... :)

Thank you for replying. Yes, I'd seen a few variations of those when I was researching options both in Amazon and eBay. I also tried Ali, but since the vehicle isn't marketed in Asia, they don't seem to carry anything targetted towards the Tellurdie.

I'm looking for something that's permanent, and doesn't look like a giant band-aid or maxi-pad. The Ron Popeil "set it and forget it" kind of simplicity. Joking aside, other than aesthetics and not forgetting it being left in place on the passenger side, it's paint damage that I would be worried about. Repeatedly slapping on and then pulling off a magnetic strip of that size would be a serious paint abrasion risk, and it would be dead simple for someone to steal if they wanted to take it.

I had found a product that's made in versions for both the RAV4 and a Tesla sedan with a price tag around $120 CAD for the set of four strips. Door Dent Protection Product
It's a permanent adhesive backed black and chrome strip that runs along the side of all four passenger doors, and it looked decent enough... though the location where they show it installed on the RAV4 is pretty useless, as the bulge of the door occurs about a foot above where they placed the strips. I contacted the vendor, but alas, no such luck with the Telluride. Tomorrow will entail doing a search to see if I can find a Chinese manufacturer that might be willing to take on the project.

The quest continues... :)
In that case, it's kinda thin but here you go....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAINTED-BODY-SIDE-Moldings-TRIM-Mouldings-For-KIA-TELLURIDE-2020-2022/352685789572?fits=Model:Telluride&hash=item521db61184:g:eek:JYAAOSww4Bc-WME

Not sure how much protection it'll give you since most of the door dings I ever got was in the middle of the door. This strip (as well as most other side molding) are on the lower side of the door and not at the high point. I think they are mostly cosmetic.

OP
CDPond
Thread Starter #5
In that case, it's kinda thin but here you go....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAINTED-BODY-SIDE-Moldings-TRIM-Mouldings-For-KIA-TELLURIDE-2020-2022/352685789572?fits=Model:Telluride&hash=item521db61184:g:eek:JYAAOSww4Bc-WME

Not sure how much protection it'll give you since most of the door dings I ever got was in the middle of the door. This strip (as well as most other side molding) are on the lower side of the door and not at the high point. I think they are mostly cosmetic.
Thank you for the link. Best I've seen so far, and what I'll check a bit more is if it can be mounted higher on the door. I fully agree with you in that if it's installed in a lower location it serves no purpose other than potential aesthetics. Since it's a DIY installation, it would be possible to mount it higher on the door on the crest of the door bulge (curve). I'm going to do some Photoshop mock-ups to see what it looks like, and then I can decide if I go with body colour with chrome trim strip, or just body colour. I very much appreciate the link.

Neen Dean

OP
CDPond
Thread Starter #7
I just ordered mine. Coming this week. I have an ignorant neighbor that dented and scratched my previous kia but I need this asap bc if I see even a fiber of lent from his floor mat on my truck I WILL FLIP lol
Those are certainly wider, but ultimately I opted for the narrower premanently mounted ones, and just installed them a little higher on the door. The concern I had with the wide magnetic strips is paint abrasion. Too bad the vehicle didn't just come with a heavy wide protective strip like my old Mitsubishi Montero. That thing was bulletproof when it came to resisting door dings.
M00 Ad Banner Photo.jpg

Neen Dean

Those are certainly wider, but ultimately I opted for the narrower premanently mounted ones, and just installed them a little higher on the door. The concern I had with the wide magnetic strips is paint abrasion. Too bad the vehicle didn't just come with a heavy wide protective strip like my old Mitsubishi Montero. That thing was bulletproof when it came to resisting door dings.
View attachment 2869
Yes, they claim that when you put them, on the reviews from people, say when you apply them to do it in one motion. Don't drag and push and pull the magnets to avoid scratches. So im going to try to it out bc I want maximum protection lol. I like those strips too.