Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Engine Noise on Startup

Do you have engine rattle on cold startup?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Does anybody else have the engine rattle on startup? I read some issues in the past with the 3.8 timing chain tensioners, so was surprised that on the 2020 Telluride, I heard the startup noise. Please chime in/vote. It only lasted for about 1 second, but was definitely noticeable outside the car.

Yes it's more noticeable during morning cold starts. If I'm not mistaken it's the sound of the direct injection.

I notice it. Has the chain tensioners issue been resolved?

I haven't noticed any engine rattle, maybe I'm not just hearing it.

OP
W
Thread Starter #5
I notice it. Has the chain tensioners issue been resolved?
I thought it was, but it really sounds like that could be what's making the sound

That's normal from what I'm being told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is normal on cold start up. My Telluride is the same and so was my 3.3l Santa fe. Noise goes away in a few seconds. As for the rattle I don't get that on my Telluride.

I get a very slight and very quick noise on starting, but goes away within seconds. I had the same thing with my Toyota Highlander. I believe it is normal.

Does anybody else have the engine rattle on startup? I read some issues in the past with the 3.8 timing chain tensioners, so was surprised that on the 2020 Telluride, I heard the startup noise. Please chime in/vote. It only lasted for about 1 second, but was definitely noticeable outside the car.
This is a new 3.8l designed differently
from old 3.8l. I dought very much there is an issue with the timing chain tensioner.They had timing chain tensioner issues in the past with the 3.3 l as well, 2007- 2008. The 3.8 and 3.3 has had major redesign as they are used in the Genesis Luxury vehicles as well. I'm glad that they didn't use the Turbo version in the Telluride!

Tmingo

My engine Knocks for about a min then goes away. Took it to dealer, and of course, they couldn’t “Replicate” noise 😐