Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Extended warranty to buy or not to buy

Bdean8183

Well as of 9:30 pm last night my wife and I are the proud owners of a Telluride SX. I purchased it over the phone yesterday at around 4 pm and they delivered it to me at 9:30 pm. The dealership was about 235 miles from me. I was hit with the extended warranty question by the finance manager. I declined it at the time but he said I had 5 days to make up my mind. I purchased it on my last 2 new cars and only used it one time. The one time I used it the bill was about $700. I paid $2500 for the extended warranty on my 2014 Chevy Silverado so I lost $1800 on that deal. My 2012 Dodge Charger’s warranty cost $2000 and I never even used it. So with that said I am $3800 in the hole on extended warranty’s. I said I would never buy one again. The only reason I am considering it is because this Telluride is a brand new build and it has a ton of bells and whistles. I thought I would get opinions from you guys before I lost anymore money. Maybe there are better options? Maybe I won’t need it at all? Thank you kindly for any help or opinions. 9ABF9B54-6A75-4C8F-9322-CEC9EA71741F.jpeg

Congrats and what a beautiful color, especially out in the sun.

I declined purchasing any extra warranty because I normally keep my cars for about three to four years. If you plan keeping it longer keep in mind that the electronics items are only covered until 36k miles so it maybe worth it if you do keep your car longer.

Don't forget the warranty like anything is negotiable, we purchased the 10yr/100k miles for $1500, originally the finance guy quoted us $1900.

OP
B

Bdean8183

Thread Starter #5
Congrats and what a beautiful color, especially out in the sun.

I declined purchasing any extra warranty because I normally keep my cars for about three to four years. If you plan keeping it longer keep in mind that the electronics items are only covered until 36k miles so it maybe worth it if you do keep your car longer.
Thank you, we really like the color. We wanted a Moss Green but I was scared that it would be hard to keep clean since it is such a dark color. And they are very hard to find. I do plan on keeping it longer than 3 years. We wouldn’t be getting rid of the Charger if it weren’t the need for more room for the kiddos. It’s actually 7 years old already. Time flies. As long as the Tellurude is reliable we plan on keeping it awhile. Possibly even passing it down to my oldest daughter when she starts driving which is 9 years away. Thank you so much for the compliments and the advice.

OP
B

Bdean8183

Thread Starter #6
Don't forget the warranty like anything is negotiable, we purchased the 10yr/100k miles for $1500, originally the finance guy quoted us $1900.
Oh wow thank you! I did not know that. That is awesome info.

Same as above, got the extended warranty for $1900, figured it was worth the peace of mind. There's a 10/year 150k mile one too.:ROFLMAO:

Kia's basic warranty is already much better than Chevy or Dodge, save the $1900 and put it towards paying off the car.
kia-warranty.png

ucinn

Staff Member
Offer $900 for it, thwey will counter. they have plenty of wiggle room on these.

Congratulations, she's absolutely gorgeous!

Originally we declined the warranty but after back and forth negotiations we ended up paying $1400 for the 10 years 100,000 miles for a third party warranty with a $100 deductible.

It's not much when you factor that into your monthly payments, plus its a good resell perk when it's time to sell.

I'm on the same boat as you, bought extended warranties in the past but never ended up needing it. I was told that I can still purchase the warranty before 3 yrs or 36,000 miles if I do change my mind.

OP
B

Bdean8183

Thread Starter #20
I'm on the same boat as you, bought extended warranties in the past but never ended up needing it. I was told that I can still purchase the warranty before 3 yrs or 36,000 miles if I do change my mind.
Awesome Info! Thank you so much. This info is the reason I posted the question on here. At 36,000 miles I’ll have a better idea of the reliability of everything. I can make up my mind then. I get telemarketers calling almost everyday wanting to extend my car warranty. I could just buy one from them. Lol. I’m kidding of course.