Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

FCA malfunctioning

LouieC5

Today driving into work I got an error on my 2020 Telluride. It said something like the radar isn't working therefor the FCA isn't operating. Now I live in Buffalo, NY. It started snowing pretty heavily today. I am hoping it had to do with the weather as opposed to something actually malfunctioning with the radar system. Has anyone else had this issue? If so did it clear up on it's own or did you have to take it in? Was it snowing when you experienced this issues? Thanks!

dhendrix

Today driving into work I got an error on my 2020 Telluride. It said something like the radar isn't working therefor the FCA isn't operating. Now I live in Buffalo, NY. It started snowing pretty heavily today. I am hoping it had to do with the weather as opposed to something actually malfunctioning with the radar system. Has anyone else had this issue? If so did it clear up on it's own or did you have to take it in? Was it snowing when you experienced this issues? Thanks![

dhendrix

Mine has done that during heavy rain or excessive water on road while raining. Once clear of those it always returns to normal.

OP
LouieC5

LouieC5

Thread Starter #4
Mine has done that during heavy rain or excessive water on road while raining. Once clear of those it always returns to normal.
Yeah I'm hoping that's the case with mine as well. It's never happened to me in the rain, but today was the first heavy snowfall we've had since I bought it back in October.

Yeah I'm hoping that's the case with mine as well. It's never happened to me in the rain, but today was the first heavy snowfall we've had since I bought it back in October.
Clean the debris off the radar, the rectangular box just below the front license plate.

OP
LouieC5

LouieC5

Thread Starter #6
Clean the debris off the radar, the rectangular box just below the front license plate.
I did just that and it's working fine. I was hoping it had to do with the snow and I was right. Thx!

I've had the same problem with my 2021 SX when slush or snow builds up on the radar unit. The problem goes away when the slush is cleaned or melts off.

This is a PIA. On a 5-hour drive up North, this hardware failed 90 minutes in. It has been failing a lot since, including when it's not actually snowing or not snowing much.

It happens on my Telly, and it happens on my wife's Escape. It's slush or snow building up on the face of the radar and blocking the beam. Usually when it happens the weather is such that you shouldn't be using cruise control anyway. It's a common problem with any adaptive cruise control.

It defeats the automatic braking system, too, which is a safety hazard. And, yes, when it was failing and not snowing, and I was driving on the highway for 4 hours on dry roads, I did miss the cruise control. ;)

Also, as a note, the times it has failed, a lot over the past two weeks, I made sure there was no snow build up on the sensor. I'll get it looked at and report any findings. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Scarlett Maintenance, Warranty Issues & Trouble 2