Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Hitch mounted spare tire carrier

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
For those with larger spare tires or for those that hate the OEM setup, here's an option;

https://www.rigid-armor.com/shop/kia-telluride-2020-spare-tire-hitch-carrier

I can confirm it fits as the test vehicle is mine... Lol. Product looks well made and feels heavy duty. I love that it folds down for easy access to your cargo space and that it has a passthrough hitch receiver!

Q: can you use oem hitch?
A: yes

Q: does it rattle or move around?
A: no. There's a set bolt that prevents the unit from wobbling and rattling.

Q: does the added weight affect driving?
A: no. It's only 35 lbs plus the additional weight of a larger tire. If you are using the oem spare than its only 35lbs added weight.

Q: are their measures to protect the hatch from accidental openings?
A: no. You'll need to add rubber bushings or stoppers yourself.

Q: is the license plate relocated included?
A: no. It's an additional $25

Does it drive differently with all that extra weight in the back and what about noise going over bumps?

OP
U

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
Thread Starter #3
Does it drive differently with all that extra weight in the back and what about noise going over bumps?
35 lbs for the carrier and maybe an additional 35 lbs for the larger spare makes no difference... The product has an anti rattle set bolt that make it almost bolted onto the frame. So no wobbling or rattling.

OP
U

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
Thread Starter #7
OP
U

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
Thread Starter #9
Wonder why they chose to add this disclaimer on the site
MUST HAVE A Draw-Tite Hitch Carrier 2" Class III Hitch Receiver, concealed tube TO WORK WITH THIS CARRIER. Order it here.
šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø who knows..

KiaFan

Staff Member
Looks great @utmeep, glad they used your Telluride for the product promotion too.

Hey @utmeep does that rack have any protection against accidentally opening the tailgate while the carrier is in up position?

OP
U

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
Thread Starter #12
Hey @utmeep does that rack have any protection against accidentally opening the tailgate while the carrier is in up position?
No. You'll have to add a rubber liner to the backside.

I guaranty my wife would ding up our tailgate on the first day if we had something like this. I love look though.

OP
U

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
Thread Starter #14
Added rubber cushion for those accidental hatch openings. Thankfully I never remotely open my hatch lol.

FD60AAAB-9376-4B12-AA70-C8AA356DB8DD.jpeg