Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Let’s talk light bulbs

andybob

Hello all. New member, just picked up a 21 Telluride S in Glacial White Pearl yesterday. Really wanted an EX with bucket seats but couldn’t justify the almost 5 grand more to do so. (Let’s be clear, I was fine with it, but my wife about had a heart attack when I ran all the numbers for her, thats women for ya). That’s besides the point.

I’m surprised Kia doesn’t spec these vehicles with LED bulbs/housings from that factory, but I know the bean counters have it all figured out so to have the premium lights you gotta pay the premium bucks.

Anywho, I’ve been trying to figure out what bulbs I need to replace all the factory halogen stuff. I already have the Lasfit kit on the way for the headlights/reverse lights/plate lights. I am now working on LED side markers, turn signals, and tail/stop lamps which brings me to these products:

Tail/stop lamps:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...smd-led-tower-bay15d-retrofit-car/4191/12889/

Those 1157’s come in clear, amber, and red. I was planning to run the amber for the front turn signal and red for the rear/tail lamps. With that said, I know 1157 halogen bulbs are a different wattage than the P21 bulbs that come standard in the rear. I didn’t know if anyone has run 1157’s for the tail lamp assembly’s and if so, did you have any errors?

For the side markers, I am planning to run these:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/1127/2676/

Again, I will run amber up front, and red in the back. From what I have gathered, those bulbs should work fine in both locations without any errors.

I am still trying to figure out the rear turn signal bulb that is mounted in the bumper. I am thinking a red 1157 should do the trick, but I am looking for input or what others have run with success. I was just out tinkering, and it appears I have to drop the rear bumper to access these bulbs which is a great design (sarcasm).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and or help. And I’m sorry, I know this topic has been discussed before, but I couldn’t seem to find what bulbs people have successfully run. Depending on what suggestions I receive, I’ll probably order what I think will work and post pictures/reviews with my results.

I saw on the Lasfit sight they gave 1157 bulbs, but they state in the site it will cause errors and hyper flash issue which is what led me to the above links.

I have tried the 1157 in the back for the tail/ brake lights but found they were so bright, they looked as if the brakes were depressed while driving the whole time. The light difference when the brakes were actually pressed was minimal and it figured it wasnt worth the risk of confusing people. The led tail lights has been my fix us since we got our S in 2019. At the time the EX was not available with the 7 seats and the SX availability here was almost nonexistent. I never got any error codes from the ones I purchased and installed. I never tried the blinker due to the difficulty of accessing them and then the fear of an error code and trying to get back into the bumper to remove them. I hope it some points there is a way to get the led assembly to swap out into the S.

OP
A

andybob

Thread Starter #3
Installed the Lasfit LED headlights, plate lights, and reverse lights today. Kit is well worth it. Side note, once the headlights are in, head out to a dark road and adjust the headlight inside of the housing to get the beam to scatter correctly. Makes a huge difference and after a minute or two it’s a vast improvement over stock halogens.

Still looking for any suggestions on LED turn signal bulbs. From what I have gathered, resisters can still be required to combat hyperflash even with CANBUS bulbs.

The only other workaround I can think of would be to replace the flasher relay itself with an LED relay. I’ve looked through the manual and don’t see a flasher relay anywhere and I’m thinking it’s contained in the body control module or another integrated module.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TelluTerri Kia Telluride Discussions 9