Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Liftgate Failure

natemorin

We took our week old Telluride camping this weekend and couldn’t open the rear power liftgate this morning. When we tried from the remote outside it would just blink the outside lights at up and beep but the gate wouldn’t go up. From inside the car with car running or without when you held food the interior liftgate button the hazard warning light and both the left and right turn signal indicators inside would flash but the gate still wouldn’t open. I was able to crawl into the back and manually open it by sliding the key in that slot on the inside of the rear hatch. That opened it.

Once open I closed it again but again it wouldn’t open with the rear button, remote or the inside button. A left it for an hour or so then magically it started working again as it should.

Anyone else experience any issues opening the rear power liftgate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had no idea that there was an interior key slot in the hatch for release. I haven’t any issues with the hatch.

No problems here either and I too wasn't aware that you can use the key for the hatch.

I have the same issue now happened today just won't open or close have to manually open and close it and it won't close all the way lock in other words I have about 4700 miles taking it in to dealership tomorrow for oil change so I will update on how they fix it or what not.

Today I looked in the hatch and did see the release slot at the very bottom ... good to know that this is here in case of emergency.

558381CE-09DD-43F2-9174-F182DD61183B.jpeg

OP
N

natemorin

Thread Starter #6
I have the same issue now happened today just won't open or close have to manually open and close it and it won't close all the way lock in other words I have about 4700 miles taking it in to dealership tomorrow for oil change so I will update on how they fix it or what not.
Did you happen to open and close it a lot when the vehicle was off previous to it failing? I’m wondering if it’s some sort of battery issue based on something I read in the manual.

ucinn

Staff Member
I noticed on both the Sorento and the Stinger, if it has sit for a while, the seal sticks to the liftgate and the motor doesn't have enough mmpphh to break that seal on the first try. A second push of the button seems to be enough to break it free. I don't want to put an oil based product on the seal to keep it from sticking, so I'm trying to figure out what I can put on it to test this theory.

Did you happen to open and close it a lot when the vehicle was off previous to it failing? I’m wondering if it’s some sort of battery issue based on something I read in the manual.

Yes but should not happen im guessing maybe it could be something with the battery but will find out in a bit I’m at dealership now will update as soon as they let me know what’s wrong

OP
N

natemorin

Thread Starter #9
Yes but should not happen im guessing maybe it could be something with the battery but will find out in a bit I’m at dealership now will update as soon as they let me know what’s wrong
Did the dealer ever find anything?

OP
N

natemorin

Thread Starter #11
Anyone ever find out the issue here?
I never did but we haven’t seen the problem again since do we stopped looking

OP
N

natemorin

Thread Starter #14
Last couple days our rear lift gate has completely refused to open. Button on key fob, button on the rear lift gate itself and even the button inside the car, none will open it. Car just flashes it’s lights and beeps three times then nothing. Only way to open it is to crawl inside and use the manual release on the inside of the lift gate and then manually push it open. Even after doing that it still won’t open or close electronically. Looks like there’s a dealer visit on my near future. Too bad I was just there doing the 7500 mile service last week.

LauraB

We are having issues with our tailgate too. Latch releases but door doesn’t open. Have tried all three opening options with the same result. I followed the directions to reset the height that the door opens to but that didn’t help. Also not latching when closing.

Slabking

Last couple days our rear lift gate has completely refused to open. Button on key fob, button on the rear lift gate itself and even the button inside the car, none will open it. Car just flashes it’s lights and beeps three times then nothing. Only way to open it is to crawl inside and use the manual release on the inside of the lift gate and then manually push it open. Even after doing that it still won’t open or close electronically. Looks like there’s a dealer visit on my near future. Too bad I was just there doing the 7500 mile service last week.

Exact thing mine did. Expect it to be in the shop a cpl days

OP
N

natemorin

Thread Starter #17
Brought the Telluride to the dealer today. They are ordering a new motor for my liftgate as well. Should be in and installed this week. Seems Kia maybe looking at replacing a lot of these.

LauraB

We are having issues with our tailgate too. Latch releases but door doesn’t open. Have tried all three opening options with the same result. I followed the directions to reset the height that the door opens to but that didn’t help. Also not latching when closing.
Took it in and they did a reset. It appears to be working well now.

OP
N

natemorin

Thread Starter #19
Brought the Telluride to the dealer today. They are ordering a new motor for my liftgate as well. Should be in and installed this week. Seems Kia maybe looking at replacing a lot of these.

They ended up replacing the liftgate motor and it works fine now. Not sure if the liftgate motor we had was just faulty or of they installed a somehow better model but so far so good.

We are having the same/similar problem. We push the tailgate button but it gets hooked on something.. even if we try to pull it open it wont open because something is stopping it. it opens about 1/2 inch but thats it