Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Mechanical key for 2021 Telluride

JBQ

I have attempted to remove the driver's side door handle mechanical key cover by depressing the clasp on the bottom of the cover, but it does not want to come off. Does it "slide" off or rotate up or what.? Trying not to get rough with it. Also, the owners manual is vague as to the use of the mechanical key, other than it will get you into the car when the fob is dead. Could you start as usual and drive with that key alone?
Also, could I remove the mechanical key from the fob and use it as a hide-a-key in the event that the fob was lost, got soaked on a hiking trip, etc.?
Thanks.....Jim

I have attempted to remove the driver's side door handle mechanical key cover by depressing the clasp on the bottom of the cover, but it does not want to come off. Does it "slide" off or rotate up or what.? Trying not to get rough with it. Also, the owners manual is vague as to the use of the mechanical key, other than it will get you into the car when the fob is dead. Could you start as usual and drive with that key alone?
Also, could I remove the mechanical key from the fob and use it as a hide-a-key in the event that the fob was lost, got soaked on a hiking trip, etc.?
Thanks.....Jim
If you have a push button start you cannot start the car with the key. The idea is that if the FOB battery is "dead" you can open the door using the physical key, then if the FOB has just enough juice you can use it to start the car once you get inside and closer to the receiver. Some suggest using the FOB to press the start button. You can also use UVO service.

Once started, the car will remain running (even if the FOB battery dies).

OP
J

JBQ

Thread Starter #3
Hi Jazzyone,
Thank you for your response. So in a scenario (I've done this), where I need a hide-a-key on the vehicle because of loss or damage to the fob, it sounds like I need to get another fob.
Can I get aftermarket fobs that would work for that purpose?

Hi Jazzyone,
Thank you for your response. So in a scenario (I've done this), where I need a hide-a-key on the vehicle because of loss or damage to the fob, it sounds like I need to get another fob.
Can I get aftermarket fobs that would work for that purpose?
No, I don't believe there is an aftermarket FOB that would work. You'll have to get a compatible KIA FOB and get it programmed to your KT. I've heard it costs over $500 but you'll need to contact your dealer for the actual price.

You should already have another FOB so do you need another?

Also, I don't know how often you'll run out of FOB battery. Before that happens you should notice the shorter range of the FOB and presumably replace the battery or use the 2nd FOB before it becomes unusable.