Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Premium fuel, worth it or waste of money?

Is using premium fuel on the Telluride worth it or as waste of money?

I would say waist of money. Unless stated otherwise in the manual these engines are designed for 87 octane. running higher fuel in a non performance engine will not net you enough to justify the extra cost.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

From all studies done it's a waste of money with no appreciable benefit, especially now with the price difference between premium and regular being .40-.50 a gallon. Use what the manual calls for, the car companies pay engineers lots of money to figure this stuff out...

It is a complete waste of your money the engine was designed to run better on regular, but you may want to buy name brand gas like Chevron or Shell and every 3 to 4 tanks full run Chevron Techron fuel treatment in to help keep everything clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
According to the manual (Section 1 page 2; Fuel requirements);

Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having a pump octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher.
The Telluride's MPG rating was tested using 91 octane.

loweboy

Shell Canada 91 octane is the “ go to” fuel for ZERO ethanol. I run anything with plastic/ rubber fuel hoses and tanks , with that . Everything else gets regular with ethanol . Only because I can’t afford to use it on everything, otherwise I would . Ethanol is a MPG killer.

Dz1

3.8 291hp 262 TQ tested with 91 octane. engine is a 13 to 1 Atkinson cycle engine. I use Premium , top off with regular, Like to keep Octane Averaging over89 or 90 since I rev the engine. The 2 places the engine works hardest , LOW rpm and HIGH rpm , like doing 55 in 8th gear up a slight incline, or merging on a fast highway with a short ramp, Those 2 areas drive the FI and Timing systems NUTS with regular gas, The more tthe octane, the less the Knock sensors go off and computer hyper adjusts to fight knock. These engines do not have Hydraulic lifters, Detonation would destroy them, BUT since they are not Hydraulic, The Atkinson can do what it should knowing the Valve is at a SET mechanical standard, so IT CAN advance or retard fuel and spark like most other cars over 9.5 to 1 compression 2010 and older cannot . Also , Lucas fuel additive is great add 9 oz every other tank.