Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Speedometer is off by 5 KM/H

as the title says my car speedometer is of by 5 Km/h (3 Mile) where if i drive at 60 Km/h on my mobile GPS its only 55 Km/h and the dealer says its normal to have 5 Km/h off.

please can some confirm if they have the same issue.

Whenever I pass through a roadside radar stand, with display, my speedometer reads 2 MPH more
the the display shows. I don't mind, it keeps me from over doing it. Can you imagine if yours read
5 MPH lower and you were stopped....who is going to believe you.

A similar discrepancy occured in one of my other vehicles, and a ECM/PCM module update fixed it. It seems to only affect North American cars sold in Canada, as ours were metric displays and the those sold in the States displaying miles didn't have the same issue. I haven't seen anything like this yet with my vehicle, but that's not saying it doesn't exist. I just haven't seen it yet. If it does exist, report it, and it should get addressed in a vehicle firmware update.

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
thanks

but the deal here in Dubai says it normal to have error in speedometer compared with the GPS and can be up to 15km/h

A similar discrepancy occured in one of my other vehicles, and a ECM/PCM module update fixed it. It seems to only affect North American cars sold in Canada, as ours were metric displays and the those sold in the States displaying miles didn't have the same issue. I haven't seen anything like this yet with my vehicle, but that's not saying it doesn't exist. I just haven't seen it yet. If it does exist, report it, and it should get addressed in a vehicle firmware update.

Speed as determined by GPS will not be as accurate as the vehicle's sensors, regardless of where you live and drive. We are allowed limited deviation in displayed speed as well, but my point is that it was eventually addressed through a firmware update.

A part of the reason why there is an allowance for variation in recorded speed is due to tire and rim options. Any change to either rim and/or tire spec that changes the diameter of the tire will also result in inaccuracies. They're relatively minor, and most vehicles do not allow for any manipulation to adjust the installed tire diameter size that's used internally for speed and distance calculations.

Happy motoring....