Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Speedometer slow by 2 or 3 mph.

tyson3371

I have been driving past a construction area for the past week that has one of those radar stations with a display that shows your speed. They flash a warning for you to slow down if your going faster than the posted speed limit. I have noticed that no matter what speed I drive by that sigh at I am always 2 or 3 mph slow. I installed a speedometer app on my phone that uses gps and it shows the same result. Has anyone else noticed this? I know all cars are a little off but I wonder if all our Tellurides are reading slow.

I have a mobile gps that I use and it’s pretty accurate with the car. Try using cruise and test it out on the highway to get a better reading

Look on the bright side, you’ll put fewer miles on the car lol. Are you on the 18” wheels?

I have been driving past a construction area for the past week that has one of those radar stations with a display that shows your speed. They flash a warning for you to slow down if your going faster than the posted speed limit. I have noticed that no matter what speed I drive by that sigh at I am always 2 or 3 mph slow. I installed a speedometer app on my phone that uses gps and it shows the same result. Has anyone else noticed this? I know all cars are a little off but I wonder if all our Tellurides are reading slow.
Confused, are you saying that your speedometer is faster than what is indicated by radar/gps? If so, that's normal.

i have the same issue 2.5 MPH(4KMPH)

i have the same issue 2.5 MPH(4KMPH)
Not an issue, it’s by design.

It also depends on the condition of your tires since speed is calculated by measuring the number of rotations over time. On a positive note, you’ll probably get pulled over less often.

"Speedometers are designed to never show speeds lower than actual speed." Thomas Tetzlaff, Volkswagen Canada's media relations manager, wrote in an email. "In order to do this... they will necessarily always show speeds slightly in excess of actual speeds."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/globe-drive/culture/commuting/why-you-may-not-be-driving-as-fast-as-you-think/article11487709/

Another good article referenced above.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15136801/speedometer-scandal/