Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Torque requirements

Hi guys - just found out that you need to re-torque your tires when you rotate or change one out. In all my years I've never heard of this but it makes sense and the manual confirms it. According to the manual, the torque requirements for 20inch tires is 79 to 94 ft.lbs. Seems like a pretty wide range. Anyone know what the target torque number should be? Anyone have experience wit this ?

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
Hi guys - just found out that you need to re-torque your tires when you rotate or change one out. In all my years I've never heard of this but it makes sense and the manual confirms it. According to the manual, the torque requirements for 20inch tires is 79 to 94 ft.lbs. Seems like a pretty wide range. Anyone know what the target torque number should be? Anyone have experience wit this ?
I've been doing 94 and checking the torque again after 100 miles.

Nearly all tire shops recommend a recheck of torque after 50-100 miles. Head guy at one shop told me it’s really to scare the workers to make sure they don’t leave any loose lug nuts. Happened to my dad and brother. Both could have crashed.
Be that as it may, if you re torque yourself, it should be done with the wheel off the ground. If laden with 1,000 pounds per corner, the measurement is for all practical purposes useless.

I’ll add, in all my years of re checking torque, I’ve never had to make an adjustment. Additionally, a range of 79-94 is very odd. Of the owners manuals that mention it, I’ve never seen a range. All manuals I’ve ever seen state a single number When I get a KT and rotation is needed, I’ll set my wrench at 90.
Back when I was a kid/teen 40 years ago, nobody used a torque wrench. You used the X lug nut wrench and tightened by feel “that feels about right”. Never had a wheel fall off or be too difficult to remove.

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
I’ll add, in all my years of re checking torque, I’ve never had to make an adjustment. Additionally, a range of 79-94 is very odd. Of the owners manuals that mention it, I’ve never seen a range. All manuals I’ve ever seen state a single number When I get a KT and rotation is needed, I’ll set my wrench at 90.
Back when I was a kid/teen 40 years ago, nobody used a torque wrench. You used the X lug nut wrench and tightened by feel “that feels about right”. Never had a wheel fall off or be too difficult to remove.
Agreed. It is odd to have such a range. I tighten with an x wrench and use a torque wrench to confirm. Also 40 years ago cars were made of better and more durable quality so over torquing didn't matter haha.

tyson3371

I re check my lugnuts after about 70 miles of driving because going back to the tire department is inconvenient. The guys at Costco told me they typically use whatever the max is in the owners manual. So they have all mine at 94.

Stoney

Could the range be because of the different types/sized of tires?