Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Catch cans

Seems like this 3.8 GDI engine has weird design for instaling a catch can.
Does anybody makes ready made kit or ?
Seems like we will need to catch cans.
Anybody has anymore info ?
Thank you

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
The Telluride is still too new to the market to have options such as this. The Telluride also isn’t a popular vehicle for aftermarket companies to support. It is very unfortunate. Maybe in the near future more companies will join the game.

Seems like this 3.8 GDI engine has weird design for instaling a catch can.
Does anybody makes ready made kit or ?
Seems like we will need to catch cans.
Anybody has anymore info ?
Thank you
If you follow basic maintenance, use top tier gas, and do not untune your car pass manufacture settings, there is zero reasons to add a catch can. If you do add a catch can, please make sure that the catch can manufacture will warranty the destruction of your engine, I have not found one company that will, because when your engine dies, it will most likely be the catch cans caused it. With out proper vapor lock, you are actually sucking in water vapor into your oil, making everything worst.

Think about this one for a second. Kia offers a 100,000 mile warranty on their engines. If a catch can was really needed would then not spend the 100 dollars in adding one to the car rather then dealing with the warranty problems?

They don't because most people will do proper oil changes, most people will not untune their engines, and most people will use top tier gas. You do those things, nothing will build up anywhere.

Now if you are drag racing want to untune your engine for some reason, then you probably should get a catch can, but warning, you will shorten your engine life doing so. Modern engines are not built for catch cans, if they where, then they would have been added by the manufacture.

Warning rough language. Not adult, but rough.

OP
G
Thread Starter #4
If you follow basic maintenance, use top tier gas, and do not untune your car pass manufacture settings, there is zero reasons to add a catch can. If you do add a catch can, please make sure that the catch can manufacture will warranty the destruction of your engine, I have not found one company that will, because when your engine dies, it will most likely be the catch cans caused it. With out proper vapor lock, you are actually sucking in water vapor into your oil, making everything worst.

Think about this one for a second. Kia offers a 100,000 mile warranty on their engines. If a catch can was really needed would then not spend the 100 dollars in adding one to the car rather then dealing with the warranty problems?

They don't because most people will do proper oil changes, most people will not untune their engines, and most people will use top tier gas. You do those things, nothing will build up anywhere.

Now if you are drag racing want to untune your engine for some reason, then you probably should get a catch can, but warning, you will shorten your engine life doing so. Modern engines are not built for catch cans, if they where, then they would have been added by the manufacture.

Warning rough language. Not adult, but rough.
Thank you for your reply.
i have catch cans on my pick up trucks and it has 2 chambers that filters almost everything and its enclosed system and i drain it every 3k miles.
the crap thats collected in the bottom, the whole things was going to be burned inside the engine.
and its not just blow by oil, all the moisture and other crappy things, they all stay in the catch can.
why would you think that a catch can will destroy an engine? its just adding an extra filter.
and i am not talking about the cheap catch cans that are just straight thru design.
and yes,the vehicle will be going to dealer for maintenance.
when you are saying top tier gasoline, you talking about 91+ octane ??? owner manual say you use regular gasoline.

In short? Catch cans add a level of complexity to a already complex system. Complexity is the enemy of durability. Your engine be was designed to run as they made it. If a can was needed they would have added it. Adding the can is undoing that design. Small things can create large problems like the failure of a vacuum seal.
Catch cans fix a problem that only exists in a very few limited cases.

Continue reading the manual on gas it will get to top tier. Basically it is group of distrubators that add enough detergents and other chemicals to help stop things like carbon build up. Google top tier gas for the list. It has nothing to do with octane.

OP
G
Thread Starter #6
In short? Catch cans add a level of complexity to a already complex system. Complexity is the enemy of durability. Your engine be was designed to run as they made it. If a can was needed they would have added it. Adding the can is undoing that design. Small things can create large problems like the failure of a vacuum seal.
Catch cans fix a problem that only exists in a very few limited cases.

Continue reading the manual on gas it will get to top tier. Basically it is group of distrubators that add enough detergents and other chemicals to help stop things like carbon build up. Google top tier gas for the list. It has nothing to do with octane.
i did, and it looks like it will be difficult to found top tier gasoline near me.
i will have to buy that kia approved gasoline additive to compensate for top tier gas

brb

The gasoline never hits the top of the intake valves in the Telluride GDI engine so I don't think the detergents will help clean the valves. So I think the discussion of catch can's has some merit.

Another option is periodically using CRC intake valve cleaner. But I'm wondering if anyone here has tried that product.

The gasoline never hits the top of the intake valves in the Telluride GDI engine so I don't think the detergents will help clean the valves. So I think the discussion of catch can's has some merit.

Another option is periodically using CRC intake valve cleaner. But I'm wondering if anyone here has tried that product.
If I'm clear on my understanding of the GDI Atkinson cycle engine, the intake valve remains open for about 1/3rd of the compression stroke, thereby pushing an air fuel mixture back over the intake valve and into the intake. This should allow for detergent additives to do their job, hence the need/recommendation for top tier gas. Think we are good on this, no need for catch cans or intake valve cleaners....

OP
G
Thread Starter #9
If I'm clear on my understanding of the GDI Atkinson cycle engine, the intake valve remains open for about 1/3rd of the compression stroke, thereby pushing an air fuel mixture back over the intake valve and into the intake. This should allow for detergent additives to do their job, hence the need/recommendation for top tier gas. Think we are good on this, no need for catch cans or intake valve cleaners....
Its not 1/3,but only 20% and thats not enough to clean the intake valves

OP
G
Thread Starter #10

All of these problems are on the GDI engines

Its not 1/3,but only 20% and thats not enough to clean the intake valves
Your an Automotive/ Engine designer/engineer who has researched the GDI Atkinson cycle engine? Or you just think that has no impact?

ucinn

Staff Member

Flipray

I dont see why a catch can would be a bad idea. It has a PCV system, so you know itll spew oil into the the intake tract. Adding a catch can just lessens the chance of oil vapor getting there and sticking to the intake valve.

Kirkie

i did, and it looks like it will be difficult to found top tier gasoline near me.
i will have to buy that kia approved gasoline additive to compensate for top tier gas
Do you have a Costco by you. They sell top tier gas.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M 3.8L Engine Upgrades 7
loweboy 3.8L Engine Upgrades 20