Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

RESOLVED: Unusual Electrical Behavior in '22 Telluride EX (Warning Lights, Won't Shift, Won't Start)

Scornell3

Today, while driving my 2022 Telluride EX (13,000 miles), I received a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) alert. Upon checking the menu, the tire pressure didn't display. I stopped to inspect the tires, and all appeared fine. However, I then faced a series of electrical issues:
  • Transmission Lock: The vehicle wouldn’t shift out of park.
  • Unresponsive Start: After shutting down the engine, the car wouldn't restart. There was no response when pressing the start button.
  • Partial Electrical Functions: While the dash and infotainment screens remained non-responsive, overhead lights and interior power door locks were operational. The key buttons also didn't respond.
  • Unexpected Illumination: After about 10 minutes of inactivity, the dashboard lit up on its own, even though I made no attempts to turn the car on at that time. Once this occurred, I tried starting the car, and it powered on immediately without any indication of a weak battery.
  • Further Alerts & Issues: While driving to the nearest dealer (roughly 10 miles), the TPMS alert showed up again, and the infotainment screen then powered off. A few minutes later the blind-spot-collision warning alert was received. At the dealership, the transmission lock and restart issues reoccurred.
The dealer couldn't immediately pinpoint the cause and plans to delve deeper into the issue. Interestingly, after about a 10-minute conversation, the car repeated the behavior outlined in the "Unexpected Illumination" section above.

Has anyone come across this or have any insights into the potential problem?

OP
S

Scornell3

Thread Starter #2
Just dropping in to give an update on the electrical issues I experienced in case someone else runs into a similar situation. After seeing similar instances on this forum and other forums with no clear resolutions, I thought it'd be helpful to share my findings.

The root of the problem was a malfunction in the Integrated Central Control Unit (ICU) Junction Box. You can refer to the attached image of the invoice for specific part numbers and further details. It took the dealership 2 days to diagnose the problem and an additional 3 days to secure the required part. I picked-up my car last night, and as of now, it's operating smoothly.

I'll be sure to post any further developments, should they arise. I truly hope this information is beneficial to someone down the line. Safe driving!
Service Invoice.png

That’s good to hear. Glad the dealership and Kia were able to get this resolved. I know it sucks to have problems with a new vehicle but stuff happens in mass production. I had a rear back up camera issue that took some time to fix. Having a hood dealership is a big plus.

R & C

I have a 2022, one of the first to come off the line in late summer of 2021. I've had a few problems with the car not starting , no lights, nothing. Eventually the car started. I took it in a couple weeks ago and they said that a code came up but were waiting to hear from the factory. In the mean time, they did a computer upgrade and 2 weeks later after trying to get a hold of the manager (who has now quit), my car will not start at all. Ive been waiting all day for a call back. I don't know what to do.