Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Smelling Coolant

I Purchased my Telluride in June 2019. In July I began smelling engine coolant when I stop the vehicle. I do not see any leaks under the vehicle on/in the engine compartment. The vehicle does not appear to be running too hot. I do not see water vapor coming out of the exhaust. The smell is coming from around the engine but gets pulled into the cabin air intake. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

ucinn

Staff Member
Does this happen when you use the windshield washer? I get that smell when I clean the windshield on the Stinger and it does smell like coolant.

OP
Jdaniels0524
Thread Starter #3
Does this happen when you use the windshield washer? I get that smell when I clean the windshield on the Stinger and it does smell like coolant.
Hello - No, not specifically. Once the engine is on for a few minutes the smell starts as the engine warms. It becomes very noticeable when sitting in traffic or at a traffic signal and the windows are open.

Rznhales

Ours would smell after driving for 45+min and pulling back into garage. Went in yesterday and they said either bad head/head gasket or cylinder. I would advise getting it checked. I noticed the fluid in the coolant reservoir getting progressively lower but never had the temp guage over 1/2 up and no coolant on garage floor

Ours would smell after driving for 45+min and pulling back into garage. Went in yesterday and they said either bad head/head gasket or cylinder. I would advise getting it checked. I noticed the fluid in the coolant reservoir getting progressively lower but never had the temp guage over 1/2 up and no coolant on garage floor
Please keep us posted on how Kia handles your issue and Good Luck!

My coolant reservoir went completely empty in about 6,000 miles. If it happens again before my next oil change, I will probably have the dealer check for bad head gaskets. I have had issues before, on new cars, where the heads were not torqued correctly and both gaskets and head bolts had to be replaced.

My coolant reservoir went completely empty in about 6,000 miles. If it happens again before my next oil change, I will probably have the dealer check for bad head gaskets. I have had issues before, on new cars, where the heads were not torqued correctly and both gaskets and head bolts had to be replaced.
That is not normal. You should take it in ASAP to prevent engine damage

That is not normal. You should take it in ASAP to prevent engine damage
My 2016 Sorento did the same thing. The dealership had to re-torque the cylinder heads. It slowed down the evaporation but I was still topping it off every 10k miles or so.

I’ve never had a vehicle use so much coolant. Better to be safe than sorry and get it checked out.

Rznhales

Please keep us posted on how Kia handles your issue and Good Luck!
As of today 11/12/19 our Telluride is still sitting at the dealer. New cylinder head was originally slated to be released from Kia to the dealer on the 11th and now that's been pushed back to the 19th. That's just the part being released, then shipping/receiving and install will follow!

As of today 11/12/19 our Telluride is still sitting at the dealer. New cylinder head was originally slated to be released from Kia to the dealer on the 11th and now that's been pushed back to the 19th. That's just the part being released, then shipping/receiving and install will follow!
How long has it been in the dealer for?