Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

2,000 miles towing a 22' pontoon from AZ to MN

Pacho

I now know how a 2021 Kia Telluride with the OEM towing package is able to reach a 5,000 lb towing capacity: it drinks a lot of gas. The pontoon with on-board gear and a tandem axle trailer that raised the pontoon well above the Kia's profile altogether weighed in at roughly 3,600 lbs. Add to that 2 people and gear at 400 lbs and we were at the edge of 80% of rated towing capacity. Through the mountains on I-40 at 70mph with either no wind or somewhat favorable winds, our average mileage was about 11+ mpg. Once out of the mountains, with fairly strong cross-winds or quartering headwinds, we dropped to an average of about 10 mpg at 60 mph. These mileage results compare to about 26-28 mpg average driving unloaded on the flatlands of northern MN. I put the Telly in D and let it decide the gear it wanted. Through the mountains, exclusive of the steepest grades, the RPMs ranged from about 2,500 to 3,000. Once out of the mountains the RPMs typically ranged from 3,000 to 3,400. The octane grade of gasoline through the mountains was often 88, and 87 when we reached the flats headed north. While I might have appreciated better gas mileage, I have absolutely no complaints about the Telly's performance. It handled the load well, mounted the steepest grades without complaint, was incredibly quiet and is probably the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. As for the frequent gas stops on the way home, I just considered them an opportunity to stretch and an excuse to stop listening to the unpleasant national news on Sirius radio to which my companion was addicted (sometimes ya have to wonder if it the cost of a co-pilot is worth it). I realize there are a host of variables that will affect the experience others may have with their Tellurides, but I thought this might be helpful to some.

beaeto1

I think it's advised to use higher octane gas when towing. It may also give more mileage. Please check your owner's manual. If it recommends higher octane when towing, then it's good for your Telly! Thanks.