Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

AC stopped blowing cold on 2020 SX with 11K miles

odunucmed

I'm currently at the dealership with my 2020 SX with 11K miles. After spending a day out with the family, the AC did not blow cold for the two hour drive back home in Florida heat this past Labor Day. I restarted a couple of times to see if there was something weird going on electronically (I had other issues with memory seat / CarPlay). The fan speed meter on the temperature display disappeared at one point during one of the restarts although the fans were blowing at full speed. The cold air eventually kicked on about 5 minutes from my driveway, and it worked the morning the next day. The following evening, the AC stopped blowing cold altogether, and it has remained until my service visit today. I'll post an update to see if it's a warranty fix or a "rock hit the condenser" excuse that I've seen a few posts about.

OP
O

odunucmed

Thread Starter #2
Update: (barely an update) The dealership doesn't really know what's wrong. There's nothing mechanically wrong as far as they can tell during 5-6 hours of service and me waiting at the dealership. They recharged the a/c and then used a sniffer to try and detect a leak, which they couldn't find the leak during the time that I was waiting. When I walked back to the bay to get some stuff out of my car, the fuse panels were all open and the battery was disconnected, so I'm not sure what path he was going on from there at the 6-hour mark. They think it's a similar issue to a Kia Forte they have in the shop where they had to replace the condenser. They told me it took 4 weeks to finally diagnose that car and then the part required is on backorder for the Forte. They didn't give me any definitive timelines for my Telluride, and they think that replacing the condenser will probably fix the issue.

OP
O

odunucmed

Thread Starter #3
They told me it was fixed and ready today. From the invoice:

CS AC IS BLOWING WARM
Cause: CONFIRMED A/C INOP, SCANNED FOR CODES, FOUND B124111 EVAP TEMP SENSOR SHORT. CONFIRMED SENSOR OUT OF RANGE TESTED AT 289.7 OHMS, SPEC IS 5.81-43.35 KOHMS N/G. ORDERED SENSOR.
Correction: REMOVED EVAP TEMP SENSOR & REPLACED WITH NEW PART, CONFIRMED PROPER OPERATION OF A/C SYSTEM L/O 97603R00 Thermistor, R&R 4.00 ADD EVAC/RECHARGE L/O 09760A0AA/C REFRIGERANT RECOVERY & CHARGING(R-1234YF)0.80

Needless to say, the a/c blows cold when the Telluride is stationary, but when I drove it a few miles from the dealership to the nearest gas station, the a/c does not blow cold air at all while in motion. This was the case on the way to the gas station and then the return trip to the dealership. Current actual mileage is 11,186.