Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Brakes Failing

stocksm

2021 Telluride Nightfall. Has anyone experienced the brake pedal catching then going to the floor? Almost no stopping. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow morning.

ucinn

Staff Member
2021 Telluride Nightfall. Has anyone experienced the brake pedal catching then going to the floor? Almost no stopping. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow morning.
No, but I would be calling Kia roadside and have them tow it to the dealer until they got it fixed.. sounds dangerous.

ucinn

Staff Member
just saw they had a TB come out for a possible brake leak at a piston on the brake calipers. Hopefully they will get you all squared away quickly.

OP
S

stocksm

Thread Starter #5
just saw they had a TB come out for a possible brake leak at a piston on the brake calipers. Hopefully they will get you all squared away quickly.
Negative. Was told yesterday it is a brake computer. Parts ordered. No idea when it will get in. I hope they find out why it failed and develop a fix so no one gets hurt.

PSDuque

I have 2021 Telluride and experienced the same thing. Braking to the floor with some pumping of the brakes to stop. Took it to the dealer and was told that my lines were contaminated with a foreign liquid. Now my entire system has to be replaced. Stocksm what was the outcome of your situation??

SP123

I had a similar incident with my 4-month old 2021 Telluride AWD w/ ~3,400 miles. While pulling the Telluride AWD into the garage, the brake pedal suddenly and without warning lost pressure, went limp and dropped to the floorboard. We could not stop the vehicle and crashed into the interior of the garage. The Telluride stopped after ramming into the foundation of the house at which point we could put it in park and brake functionality returned. It was a very frightening experience resulting in damage to the Telluride AWD, my home and personal property. My home surveillance captured the moment and the video is posted on YouTube:

Attachments

red

My wife recently experienced this extremely dangerous brake problem in our 2020 Telluride.

She was coming to a stop light and was able to slow to about 3-5 mph and when trying to come to a complete stop—well before she got near the other vehicle (which was a semi truck)—her brake was a wet noodle with no response. She was far enough away from the semi where she had enough time to try throwing it in neutral, reverse, and park while moving (because she was pumping the brake all the way up and down) and nothing happened. She eventually hit the semi's trailer. Three of my kids (16/15/8) were in the car and they witnessed the whole thing. Thankfully no one was injured. I immediately took her my truck and I slow crawled to Moritz Kia of Alliance Texas. I explained the issue and tried to share this thread with them and they had no interest in looking at it. They have had it for roughly 3 weeks and say it has no issues and is ready for pickup. I told them I have no interest in picking it up until this issue is fixed, given it's a life/death problem. I'd be a fool to put my wife and kids back in that vehicle!

Anyway, can one of you please tell me:

1. What your local dealer did to fix your brake problem?
2. Which specific Kia dealership fixed your issue so I can reach out to them?

Also if any of you have other ideas, I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys.

red

Here is another report of the same type of issue happening:

While operating the vehicle and braking, the dashboard warnings lights began flashing. The brake pedal went to the floor and did not brake the vehicle. No amount of pumping of the brakes helped. At about 3-5 mph I struck the stopped vehicle in front of me at an intersection. Later that day the same thing happened, and this time I pulled the emergency brake lever and held it. The warning alarm sounded but the brakes never slowed or stopped the vehicle. I drove the vehicle safely to a repair shop and it was then towed to a kia dealership. Where it is available for inspection. The error codes on the ecm indicate that the right rear abs speed sensor has lost communication. I do not know if the component has been inspected by kia. When the failure occurs the bcw light goes on, the abs light goes on, the master warning light goes on, the electronic stability light goes on, and the auto hold lights amber. The dealership has reviewed the codes on the ecm which follows: abs/esc(+epb) 2 codes 1. C121102: wheel speed sensor rear-rh invalid/no signal 2. C121002: wheel speed sensor rear-rh range / performance / intermittent integrated body control unit- bcm 1 code 1. B121200: front center right sensor fault integrated body control unit- smk 1 code 1. B121200: front center right sensor fault integrated body control unit- tpms 1 code 1. B121200: front center right sensor fault psm (power seat module) 1 code 1. B163700: system not initialized bcw (blind-spot collision warning) 2 codes 1. C169381: esc signal error 2. C167581: signal wheel FL or wheel fr or wheel rl or wheel rr not valid mfc (multi function camera) 1 code 1. C186286: invalid signal of scc scc (Smart cruise control) 3 codes 1. C121181: wheel speed sensor rear-rh invalid/no signal 2. C136081: esp irreversible error 3. C174181: esc-not available vsm (check esc) 4wd control 1 code 1. P183000: clutch torque tolerance lower limit.​

flenzy

My wife recently experienced this extremely dangerous brake problem in our 2020 Telluride.

She was coming to a stop light and was able to slow to about 3-5 mph and when trying to come to a complete stop—well before she got near the other vehicle (which was a semi truck)—her brake was a wet noodle with no response. She was far enough away from the semi where she had enough time to try throwing it in neutral, reverse, and park while moving (because she was pumping the brake all the way up and down) and nothing happened. She eventually hit the semi's trailer. Three of my kids (16/15/8) were in the car and they witnessed the whole thing. Thankfully no one was injured. I immediately took her my truck and I slow crawled to Moritz Kia of Alliance Texas. I explained the issue and tried to share this thread with them and they had no interest in looking at it. They have had it for roughly 3 weeks and say it has no issues and is ready for pickup. I told them I have no interest in picking it up until this issue is fixed, given it's a life/death problem. I'd be a fool to put my wife and kids back in that vehicle!

Anyway, can one of you please tell me:

1. What your local dealer did to fix your brake problem?
2. Which specific Kia dealership fixed your issue so I can reach out to them?

Also if any of you have other ideas, I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys.
Did you ever find any resolution for this problem? I live in Oregon and the dealership is telling me that since the mechanic doesn't have any problem on the test drives, there is nothing to fix. I have been very concerned driving my 2022 Telluride. Is Kia not acknowledging this problem so they can avoid a recall?

red

Did you ever find any resolution for this problem? I live in Oregon and the dealership is telling me that since the mechanic doesn't have any problem on the test drives, there is nothing to fix. I have been very concerned driving my 2022 Telluride. Is Kia not acknowledging this problem so they can avoid a recall?
I did everything I could to prove/convince them this happened and they said they tested everything, drove it many times, and even consulted with Kia HQ engineers about it. They maintained that everything was fine. So I told them I'm not picking it up until I was done arguing with Kia HQ about it. My HQ rep was very hard to get a hold of and they were useless and pretty much just told me to pursue Texas' lemon laws. After about 2-3 months of this ordeal (with my Telluride still in the back of their lot because I wouldn't pick it up), I filled out a form on their site to see what their online sales dept would offer me for it. There's no way I was putting my wife/kids back in that SUV and there's no way I could sell it in good conscience to someone else, so I figured since that Kia dealership said there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, I'd sell it to them and let the blood be on their head if anything happened. Because of the insanity of the car market at that time (where supply was extremely low) they offered me about $1500 more than what we paid for it 3 years earlier. So I sold it to them. We have since bought the top of the line 2023 Honda Pilot. Their new body style is great and features are very comparable.

Anyway, good luck man.

flenzy

I did everything I could to prove/convince them this happened and they said they tested everything, drove it many times, and even consulted with Kia HQ engineers about it. They maintained that everything was fine. So I told them I'm not picking it up until I was done arguing with Kia HQ about it. My HQ rep was very hard to get a hold of and they were useless and pretty much just told me to pursue Texas' lemon laws. After about 2-3 months of this ordeal (with my Telluride still in the back of their lot because I wouldn't pick it up), I filled out a form on their site to see what their online sales dept would offer me for it. There's no way I was putting my wife/kids back in that SUV and there's no way I could sell it in good conscience to someone else, so I figured since that Kia dealership said there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, I'd sell it to them and let the blood be on their head if anything happened. Because of the insanity of the car market at that time (where supply was extremely low) they offered me about $1500 more than what we paid for it 3 years earlier. So I sold it to them. We have since bought the top of the line 2023 Honda Pilot. Their new body style is great and features are very comparable.

Anyway, good luck man.
Lordy, lordy. Believe it or not, it sounds as if you had better customer care than I did here in Oregon (at Ron Tonkin Kia of Ron Tonkin Auto Group.) Had this exact problem and got the absolutely rudest and dismissive 'service' there multiple times, trying to gaslight me (an older female) about there being no problem at all - 'it's normal', 'it's the way you must drive', etc. My Kia went from being this amazing car I'd had for a year and a half to a car I didn't trust at all. I fully suspect they are trying to avoid any possibility of a class action lawsuit and have to do a recall, therefore acting as if nothing is wrong at all. I am astounded at Kia's behavior regarding this, as my car has slid into a worktruck, had to hit a curb to stop it, and slid through two stop signs. I am so tempted to get legal advice regarding this issue. I've never in my life been treated like this by any company and I find it surprising. I would never buy a Kia again based on their treatment over the past few weeks. I just know that they know they've got a problem here with the Telluride. I've talked to groups of friends and anyone admiring the car and say "it's great, until it's not, and then good luck." I'm so sorry you and your wife had to deal with this. I'd never advise a woman to get this car nor deal with this dealership.
They had absolutely zero concern for my safety nor that of my passengers. Does Kia seriously not read their own owners' forum nor care?

Kalamity

2022 S, tried to park the other day and the brake pedal sunk to the floor. Took about 10 seconds before it “woke up” again and I could stop. Dealer I took it to today treated me like an absolute idiot, telling me it is wear and tear on the vehicle, etc. considering selling it back after that experience today. They can’t replicate the problem so nothing is wrong, apparently. Not sure what to do at this point besides sell it back, I don’t feel like risking that happening on the highway.

flenzy

I am positive that Kia is aware of this problem and is trying to gaslight owners into thinking they are imagining such a dangerous situation. They always said to me that they couldn't replicate the problem (which was frequent, although intermittent.) The Kia dealership I dealt with was horrid and finally they replaced a light (?) It was something that was recalled and I can't think of what it was. After they did that, the Telluride suddenly was driving perfectly and had its power back and the brakes have been fine since. Kia is fully aware of this and I'll bet don't want a class action lawsuit or similiar.

Kcam311

I just had the same issue this week. I had my infant in the car with me too. I was driving the streets in my neighborhood and after several minutes of driving without incidents all the sudden my brakes wouldn’t work. I couldn’t stop as I approached a stop sign and rolled right through an intersection. I couldn’t stop Till I was well on the other side of the intersection. Thank God no one was coming through the cross streets at the time or I would’ve been nailed with my infant in the car. I’m having the exact same horrible experience with the dealership. They are telling me now that there are no lights on my dashboard anymore and they drove my car and it is absolutely fine. they’re crazy. Trying to get me to come and pick the car back up with how dangerous this is. I read that so many people here weren’t accidents because of it. Thank God we were OK. They literally tried to get me to pick the vehicle up when they didn’t even inspect the brakes or run any codes. And I don’t know how, but all of the dashboard lights that came on right after it happened or miraculously off. Good thing I took a photo of them. This is really scary but this is happening repeatedly and there is no recall. It’s unbelievable that the dealership is pretending that we are crazy and trying to get us to take really dangerous vehicles back. I seriously don’t know what to do.

I wish you all the best of luck with this, and I’m glad I traded mine in for a Toyota last year. While the Telluride is a great looking vehicle, I’m not sure the durability will be sufficient.

flenzy

I wish you all the best of luck with this, and I’m glad I traded mine in for a Toyota last year. While the Telluride is a great looking vehicle, I’m not sure the durability will be sufficient.
All the folks that see my car and ask what I think of the Telllurides get a complete thumbs down motion from me. Lousy company.

flenzy

I just had the same issue this week. I had my infant in the car with me too. I was driving the streets in my neighborhood and after several minutes of driving without incidents all the sudden my brakes wouldn’t work. I couldn’t stop as I approached a stop sign and rolled right through an intersection. I couldn’t stop Till I was well on the other side of the intersection. Thank God no one was coming through the cross streets at the time or I would’ve been nailed with my infant in the car. I’m having the exact same horrible experience with the dealership. They are telling me now that there are no lights on my dashboard anymore and they drove my car and it is absolutely fine. they’re crazy. Trying to get me to come and pick the car back up with how dangerous this is. I read that so many people here weren’t accidents because of it. Thank God we were OK. They literally tried to get me to pick the vehicle up when they didn’t even inspect the brakes or run any codes. And I don’t know how, but all of the dashboard lights that came on right after it happened or miraculously off. Good thing I took a photo of them. This is really scary but this is happening repeatedly and there is no recall. It’s unbelievable that the dealership is pretending that we are crazy and trying to get us to take really dangerous vehicles back. I seriously don’t know what to do.
My heart breaks for you and what you're going through. I wonder if legal advice would be good to get regarding this, or at least a call to the BBB in your state. I was completely disappointed with this dealership in the Portland area (by the way, my area's other Kia dealership, Beaverton Kia, has been amazing to deal with. They are much harder to get into as they have super long waiting lists, and now I know why.) Good luck to you and I am so happy that you and your baby are safe.

Hello can you please call https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem and report your car brakes not working. It’s so many people on here experiencing the same issue with the brakes failing and we can get a recall done! Thank you

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Kia Telluride Discussions 1