Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Calling all Service Techs - Telluride 3.8L Engine Overheating

cruzr6

Looking for possible reasons for 3.8L engine overheating.

Subject vehicle is a 2020 Telluride EX, AWD and Tow Package with 8900 miles purchased used 2 weeks ago from a mid-Atlantic KIA dealership. Now has 9300 miles.

Without warning, under normal driving (no towing) car immediately goes from gauge normal op temps to full pegged H. Bells go off, dash warnings appear. Stop and check the car ... no leaks, no steam, recovery tank empty ., fans running ... have to limp home stopping every 5 mins to let engine cool down.

Flat bedded to dealership twice (3 dealers now involved - closest, where I purchased from, and Where vehicle was sold new. No one has any idea why it's overheating. They say no obvious external signs, and according to dealership ... no KIA history on engine overheating except for fan and other obvious electrical connector issues.

My thoughts ... roughly 400 miles for it to happen twice, so 200 miles is mean time for event to happen. Gotta be coolant loss as gauge works, and thermostat seems to reflect what the engine temp is doing. If no obvious leak ... loss of fluid ... into oil system, or ... dunno. Bottom line - don't trust this car.

So anybody have an idea to pass on to the service techs?

Many thanks, Jeff.

Papa Bear

You must have a leak or blockage, the coolant has to be going somewhere. Perhaps pressure check radiator cap to make sure it is venting properly and moving coolant to and from recovery tank.

Looking for possible reasons for 3.8L engine overheating.

Subject vehicle is a 2020 Telluride EX, AWD and Tow Package with 8900 miles purchased used 2 weeks ago from a mid-Atlantic KIA dealership. Now has 9300 miles.

Without warning, under normal driving (no towing) car immediately goes from gauge normal op temps to full pegged H. Bells go off, dash warnings appear. Stop and check the car ... no leaks, no steam, recovery tank empty ., fans running ... have to limp home stopping every 5 mins to let engine cool down.

Flat bedded to dealership twice (3 dealers now involved - closest, where I purchased from, and Where vehicle was sold new. No one has any idea why it's overheating. They say no obvious external signs, and according to dealership ... no KIA history on engine overheating except for fan and other obvious electrical connector issues.

My thoughts ... roughly 400 miles for it to happen twice, so 200 miles is mean time for event to happen. Gotta be coolant loss as gauge works, and thermostat seems to reflect what the engine temp is doing. If no obvious leak ... loss of fluid ... into oil system, or ... dunno. Bottom line - don't trust this car.

So anybody have an idea to pass on to the service techs?

Many thanks, Jeff.
That sucks!

Is it actually overheating, how do you know the gauge is working properly?

OP
C

cruzr6

Thread Starter #4
papa bear was right ... servicing dealer now reports coolant line break. haven't seen vehicle but dealer reports coolant lines going to the rear of the vehicle (for rear hvac system??) and protected (covered) by a hard plastic / vinyl cover were damaged. the cover shows evidence of the vehicle striking something hard ... curb, big rock ... dunno. anyhoo, when tech took protective cover off he found coolant pooled on the cover's inside and the lines and connectors were "crushed." under warranty dealer ordered coolant lines, connectors, and mounts. two days to receive new parts and install on third day ... should have final report fri. the way the vehicle was acting ... coolant leak makes sense. let's hope the fix is that straight-forward. stay tuned, more to follow and hopefully pics of the damaged area. best regards, jeff / cruzr6.

OP
C

cruzr6

Thread Starter #6
9/18 update ... parts did not arrive wednesday nor thursday, now scheduled to arrive this coming tuesday.

great vehicle but ... prepare yourself if repair parts are required.

best, jeff / cruzr6

OP
C

cruzr6

Thread Starter #7
9/26 update ... parts arrived 9/24 (8 day wait) and installed later that day and next morning. two rear coolant lines (and body cover panel) had been struck crushing connectors and line mounts. mounts, connectors, and both rear coolant lines (apx 3' long) were replaced. coolant system filled, pressure tested twice, and dealership returned car. have put nearly 150 miles on it and watching system like a hawk. recovery tank still displaying inconsistent coolant levels, and i get a steady run off clear water from ac condenser location (rear of engine pass side). i think leak is fixed, but still not confident. pick up 6x12 enclosed trailer tomorrow and off tuesday for 1000 mile journey.

being anal ... in advance of departure going to id kia dealers in southern va, nc, sc, ga, and fl.

stay tuned!

best regards, jeff.

OP
C

cruzr6

Thread Starter #8
final update ... 10/01 - made the 1055 mile trip in two days towing 4500#s, mostly through rain and winds ... suv ran perfectly. i'm now confident the coolant leak was resolved by the previous / last dealer's efforts. every morning i've checked the recovery tank and the coolant level remains constant and at the mid point. only lingering issue is a coolant smell which surrounds the vehicle ... hopefully it'll dissipate soon. btw .. did i mention it's a great suv!

be safe everyone and best regards, jeff / cruzr6.

Papa Bear

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear everything was fixed properly. Nothing like a trip like that to instill confidence in your new ride! She's earning your trust, lol. I personally don't think I'll be doing any towing but it's good to hear it performed well. Drive on!