Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Converting the Brake lights to flash on turn signal.

C1047

Does anyone know if we can mod or convert the brake lights to blink when turn signals are on, instead of just that tiny lower blinker In bumper?

thanks in advance.

Willys

The Short Story...If you have installed the trailer wiring you already have the logic circuit to make the stop lights do dual purpose and flash...just like your trailer.
Cut the wire that powers the left brake light...near the light, tape the end that supplies the power, attach a new piece of wire to the light end, thread it down to the single wire that supplies both turn and brake to the left trailer light (Yellow) and splice it in. Repeat for the right side (green).
Now your brake lights should do dual purpose just like is required on a trailer.

Disclaimer: Do at your own risk. I think you either “get” what I am saying or you don’t. I am sure someone will try this and let you know that it works. Our Telluride will not be here for a few months yet and I have not decided if I will be installing the hitch and wiring. Note the hitch and wiring is now available at many other sources other than the Kia dealer and at much better pricing.
The only thing that may be questionable is the smarts of the vehicle may not like that the brake wire is not connected to a light. However because it is attached somewhere in the line to the the trailer harness, it should be ok. Worst case would be you have to connect a small bulb or led and stuff it behind the panel.

Have fun...

Willys

I think I would also put a hidden switch in for both lights. Flip it one way and your new mod works. Flip it the other way and it returns to stock configuration. Great for if you have other problems at the dealership...you don’t want them to say that this mod is a factor...or even know about it.
I will do up a little diagram later.

OP
C

C1047

Thread Starter #5
Wow, thanks for the reply. Yes, I understand what your saying, but I don't currently have a trailer hitch, harness installed. I will probably get one in the next couple months though. Appreciate your reply.

I was following my wife hauling an empty trailer of ours the other day and I noticed that the trailer blinker and Telluride blinker flashed opposite of one another. This makes my OCD go through the roof, and it also means that Willys idea is going to make the back of the Telluride really wonky, with the taillight and bumper light alternating when using the turn signal.