Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Kayak Racks - need suggestions

Peter S

I am looking for suggestions on the best way to get a pair of kayaks (about 60 lbs each) on to the top of a Kia. One of us is short, and we are in our mid 60s.

The car seems too tall to easily lift a kayak onto the roof and the plastic lift over the hatch seems like it will break if I put up a kayak starting from the back of the car and slide it up onto the roof.

Anyone with experience using the Yakima Showdown lift system?

Hi Peter. I'm curious what you decided to go with for your kayaks on your Kia. We recently got into kayaking with what sounds like a similar situation (2 60+ lb kayaks).

We went with the Yakima roof rack system with Sightline towers and Malone Sea Wing kayak holders. They work great with our '22 Telluride SX. I use a bathroom rug (rubber backing against the vehicle) to slide the kayaks up onto the roof rack typically from the rear. I have also done so from the side of the vehicle too. We love it and are thankful we're not pulling a trailer for the kayaks. By the way... we're in our mid-50s. I'm 6'1" and my wife is quite a bit shorter, but she's never had to load/unload. I handle that on my own.