Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Oil Dipstick "Phenomenon"

G48

Have a 2021 telluride and upon checking the oil after an overnight sit the dipstick shows to be on the low mark but after wiping and reinserting it shows to be at the full mark?? Anyone experience the same? I've never encountered this in the many years of checking oil on my vehicles.

20210110_082126[1].jpg

20210110_082559[1].jpg

They recommend checking the oil level on a warm engine. It is strange though it was low than higher.

jsk1964

The Telluride is my second Kia vehicle with the Lambda GDI V6 engine and in both cases, the behavior you describe is what I observe. When I first pull the dipstick it reads much lower than after I reinsert and pull it out again. My first car with this type of engine went 100K miles without any noticeable oil consumption or loss. The level would appear low when first removing the dipstick. I assume the second level is correct.

Why this happens is a curiosity. I am sure there is an explanation. In any case, the owners' manual specifically instructs you pull the dipstick, wipe, reinsert the dipstick and then pull a second time to read the level.

OP
G

G48

Thread Starter #4
I was told recently by a more experienced kia service manager that the dipstick creates a vacuum because of the oil tubes small diameter and that when you pull the dipstick it releases the pressure. Then when you reinsert the dipstick and recheck it shows the normal level. New one on me but believable.

Perhaps the dipstick isn't fully seated after driving the vehicle (maybe crankcase pressure pushes it out the slightest bit?), so even after it cools, it isn't as far down as it should be... Did you try to push it down more first before pulling it out the first time? I'd be curious about that... The vacuum thing I could MAYBE see, but it would have to be a vacuum elsewhere in the bottom end of the engine pulling the oil away from the reservoir, which would have to bee pretty good pressure to drop the oil level 1/4". I would think it would make it hard to get the dipstick out if that was the case. But that's just a glimpse into my thought process :)

Def going to go check mine now to see if it does the same thing though lol

Bocatrip

I just found this thread. My 2024 Telluride is brand new with less than 50 miles. I checked the oil when the car was cold and the dip stick showed nothing! After reinserting it and then pulling it out and checking it, it showed full. Very wierd! I've done this a few times with the same results.

Mikeam

I just found this thread. My 2024 Telluride is brand new with less than 50 miles. I checked the oil was the car was cold and the dip stick showed nothing! After reinserting it and then pulling it out and checking it, it showed full. Very wierd! I've done this a few times with the same results.
I notice this in mine too, not as severe as no oil level, but about half stick on the first pull and then after second check, at normal full level. I don’t know if there’s a vacuum, but the stick is a little tough to pull and insert, unlike any other car I’ve owned.

Bocatrip

According to the 2024 Telluride owner's manual, these are the correct instructions for checking engine oil

1. Be Sure the vehicle is on level ground.
2. Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature
3. Turn the engine off, remove the oil filler cap and pull the dipstick out
4. Wipe the dipstick clean and re-insert it fully
5. Pull the dipstick out agan and check the level. Check if the oil level is between the F-L Line, and if it is below the L line add enough oil to bring the level to the F line

I found it interesting that the filler cap is recommended to be removed which makes one consider that vacuum may very well be the factor showing erroneous levels when checking the oil cold before the initial starting of the car.

Greg56

I just found this thread. My 2024 Telluride is brand new with less than 50 miles. I checked the oil when the car was cold and the dip stick showed nothing! After reinserting it and then pulling it out and checking it, it showed full. Very wierd! I've done this a few times with the same results.
I have a new 2024 and it registers 1 quart low on first pull of the dipstick. Wipe it and repeat and reads right on the full mark. Never seen this before but assume it’s normal for Telluride.

Mike789

I was told recently by a more experienced kia service manager that the dipstick creates a vacuum because of the oil tubes small diameter and that when you pull the dipstick it releases the pressure. Then when you reinsert the dipstick and recheck it shows the normal level. New one on me but believable.
When the engine is started, the oil level drops below the end of the dipstick tube (which is longer than the dipstick itself) and then when the engine is turned off the oil level rises again, but can’t go up into the tube because the top of the tube is sealed with a dipstick which has an O-ring around it. Think of it like if you put your thumb on the end of a straw and put it down into your drink, the drink can’t go up into to the straw because of the trapped air in there. So if you pull the dipstick out 3/4 of on inch so that the O-ring comes out of the dipstick tube and let it sit for about 30 seconds, and then push the dipstick back in then the oil level will show accurately. Or if you just do it like the owner manual says and pull it all the way out wipe it and put it back and it works great too. It doesn’t affect a lot of other cars because their dipstick actually extends past the dipstick tube. It did give me a scare as well when I first noticed it.