Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Owner of 2020 Telluride S, towing a small camper...or trying to!

MavenMom

Hi all, We got our Telluride S in January and so far have really loved it. The size is great for us and the gas mileage has been AMAZING. In eco mode, I do better or equal to our Kia hybrid sedan. I had a 2005 Kia Sorento for nearly 15 years and put 200K on her before we gave her away with a blown engine.

The only issues I have been with the Telluride are recently the passenger side seat is erroring that it has a person in it when it is empty, setting off the mandatory seatbelt alarm! Ugh.

We got this Telluride to tow our 19' Travel Trailer with a dry weight of 3750 and a gross weight around 4600-4900.
Getting really close to the max.
So far one thing that has been disappointing about towing is that even though it is spec'ed for towing to 5000 lbs, it does NOT come with a brake controller built in or even a plug and play connection in the dash to install one.
So we are struggling to get one installed, tapping into the brake power and lights ourselves possibly, which may even void our electrical warranty. However, I talked to Kia and they said it will not affect engine, powertrain which are the biggies.
I just wish it was a little more ready to tow. We had to upgrade the 4 blade pin trailer connection in the back ours came with to a 7 pin connector to get all the features of the lights on our trailer. Right now we are towing caerfully without a brake controller but for big trips we must have one. If it cannot pull this bably correctly, then I will have to trade it in on something else, like the truck my husband wants. (sob) 1598586892551.png

Tricos

Look at the curt Echo trailer brake controller. Works off of Bluetooth and your cell phone. I just installed this today and took 30 seconds.

OP
MavenMom

MavenMom

Thread Starter #3
Look at the curt Echo trailer brake controller. Works off of Bluetooth and your cell phone. I just installed this today and took 30 seconds.
Thanks Tricos. We had considered that one as it was what etrailer recommended. But we use our phones too much in the car to have to keep it available to adjust the brakes, I would think.
When the phone is connected to the Telluride, it is in that auto connect mode, so you have to get out of that to use other apps, etc. Have you towed with the Echo yet? I wondered how much or often you are needing to adjust it via the phone? If not often or hardly ever, we may consider it. It is definately our plan B now that you recommend it for a easy install. If it doesnt work well I can always send back to Amazon within 30 days! Thanks for your reply!!

Tricos

I just set it up yesterday and went around the block. I will be taking it out this weekend on a longer trip. We have a Viking Vtrec trailer that weights about 3200 empty. I will let you know if we have any issues.

It was months after the Telluride came out we got update and sent new owners manuals saying the Telluride was only 3500lbs. Only way to get the 5000lbs is direct from the factory when its being built.

OP
MavenMom

MavenMom

Thread Starter #6
It was months after the Telluride came out we got update and sent new owners manuals saying the Telluride was only 3500lbs. Only way to get the 5000lbs is direct from the factory when its being built.
Well that really sucks because we bought this from YOU. :eek::rolleyes::mad:
And I just checked online at used inventory at KIA.com and they are still showing the specs for our S model as 5000 lbs.
Does it vary by MODEL maybe? We have an S.
I will PM you our number. Let's talk Monday. Give me a call about trading it in on a new 2021 with the correct capacity at NO COST TO US. ;)
1598661745183.png

OP
MavenMom

MavenMom

Thread Starter #7
Thanks all for the input and support.

After talking to Kia again and considering other people's recommendations, I just did a big return to Amazon of my brake controller and all the parts to install it. I ordered the Curt Echo and we will try that instead for 30 days and see how it goes.

I liked that it is wireless. I read more about it and it has a secure clip so it cant come unplugged while driving.

Also, in talking to others who tow trailers, they say they seldom make many changes to their brake control settings so it's not like we won't be able to use a cell phone because it is dedicated to the role of controlling the trailer brakes. The Echo is reportedly seen to work faster to brake, because all the signal is in the back, the inertia causes the braking on the trailer, which seems faster than a signal from my pedal or the line to the front.

Also, as some others noted, what if the brakes don't get depressed because it is a collision avoidance or cruise system that slows me down. Then I need the inertia system to tell the brakes to depress. Not at the brake pedal but at the trailer, which would be pushing me at that point.

Jimbo

The Curt Echo brake control looks to be a nice system. My only concern is if the trailer starts to sway and I have to fumble for my phone where ever it is may take to long for me to activate the trailer brakes to stop the swaying. Could I use a older cheap cell phone with blue tooth as a dedicated phone to control the brake system mounted on the dash some how?
Jim

OP
MavenMom

MavenMom

Thread Starter #9
The Curt Echo brake control looks to be a nice system. My only concern is if the trailer starts to sway and I have to fumble for my phone where ever it is may take to long for me to activate the trailer brakes to stop the swaying. Could I use a older cheap cell phone with blue tooth as a dedicated phone to control the brake system mounted on the dash some how?
Jim
Jimbo, that is a good idea with the extra phone. Lord knows I have a drawer full of them, as long as the OS is up to date enough to take the app they need. I watched the video on usage from Curt and it shows a guy with his phone ready and the big dot button on the screen to push it to brake at any moment. I was thinking that if I am having driving problems with my trailer, the last thing I want to do is take one hand off the wheel to play with the phone. If it came to that, I would think we would just slowly pull off to the side of the road and make adjustments then.
I also realized that it is not totally wireless, you do have to run a power wire from the battery to the back to power it through the 7 way. So I had to order kit CURT ETBC7L for it, another $83.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/etrailer/ETBC7L.html

The good news about this part is in the etrailer instructional video, they show them putting it on a Telluride!

As a cabinet-maker for 30 years, I used 20' cargo trailers to transport cabinets to the jobsite. https://www.woodweb.com/galleries/shop/posts/1425.html I pulled those trailers with Ā¾ ton Ford vans that had hardwired Prodigy brake controllers. All those controllers had a lever that you could use to activate ONLY the trailer brakes. When your gut tells you that a white knuckle emergency situation is about to happen because of your trailer, all you have to do is activate the trailer brakes with that lever. This action will stop trailer sway, jackknifing on slick pavement, and other situations. Remote control brake controllers are nice and easy but I prefer not to depend on an overworked iPhone or a bluetooth remote to emergency brake that 4000 pound trailer behind my wonderful Telluride.

okokok41

Jimbo, that is a good idea with the extra phone. Lord knows I have a drawer full of them, as long as the OS is up to date enough to take the app they need. I watched the video on usage from Curt and it shows a guy with his phone ready and the big dot button on the screen to push it to brake at any moment. I was thinking that if I am having driving problems with my trailer, the last thing I want to do is take one hand off the wheel to play with the phone. If it came to that, I would think we would just slowly pull off to the side of the road and make adjustments then.
I also realized that it is not totally wireless, you do have to run a power wire from the battery to the back to power it through the 7 way. So I had to order kit CURT ETBC7L for it, another $83.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/etrailer/ETBC7L.html

The good news about this part is in the etrailer instructional video, they show them putting it on a Telluride!
Kia allegedly has Trailer Sway Control (TSC) like Hyundai. The big question does it simultaneously apply electric trailer brakes like Fords TSC

Torr2ga

Yes the T can tow. We have a 2020 SX, AWD with tow pkg and "adjustable shock" package. Had a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and 7-pin wiring professionally installed by our regular mechanic. We tow a 2021 (B) Winnebago Micro Minnie 1700FB. It's a tandem 2500 lb axle with dry weight of 3340 lbs and GVWR of 5000 lbs and dry hitch weight of 340 lbs. It also has torsion suspension. No slides. We use a Blue Ox WD hitch, as well. The T towed it from PA to FL and back (2500 miles) at 65 mph without effort. Gas mileage was about 12-13 mpg which allowed us to take travel breaks and walk the dog every couple of hours. It is important to do your research and then do what it takes to properly equip to do it safely. Towing is not an "off the shelf" proposition. Lots of big rigs out there with all of the bells and whistles and if that's what you are after T may not be the vehicle to tow with, but there are a large number of smaller travel trailers that fit the T's ratings and can be towed safely when both are properly equipped.

dikkelul

Well that really sucks because we bought this from YOU. :eek::rolleyes::mad:
And I just checked online at used inventory at KIA.com and they are still showing the specs for our S model as 5000 lbs.
Does it vary by MODEL maybe? We have an S.
I will PM you our number. Let's talk Monday. Give me a call about trading it in on a new 2021 with the correct capacity at NO COST TO US. ;)
View attachment 2556
I just bought a 2021 Telluride and had Uhaul put a trailer hitch and 7 way harness on it and I bought the Curt Echo brake controller. The 2021 manual states that I can tow up to 5000 lbs if I use a brake controller. if you don't use a controller you only can pull 1640lbs.

chiflado

I just got the Etrailer ETBC7L 7-Way Upgrade Kit based on your comments. It came in a generic box with all the components loose inside the box. Was wondering if this is how they sell this kit or did I get an open/used kit?

mkbrey

Hi all, We got our Telluride S in January and so far have really loved it. The size is great for us and the gas mileage has been AMAZING. In eco mode, I do better or equal to our Kia hybrid sedan. I had a 2005 Kia Sorento for nearly 15 years and put 200K on her before we gave her away with a blown engine.

The only issues I have been with the Telluride are recently the passenger side seat is erroring that it has a person in it when it is empty, setting off the mandatory seatbelt alarm! Ugh.

We got this Telluride to tow our 19' Travel Trailer with a dry weight of 3750 and a gross weight around 4600-4900.
Getting really close to the max.
So far one thing that has been disappointing about towing is that even though it is spec'ed for towing to 5000 lbs, it does NOT come with a brake controller built in or even a plug and play connection in the dash to install one.
So we are struggling to get one installed, tapping into the brake power and lights ourselves possibly, which may even void our electrical warranty. However, I talked to Kia and they said it will not affect engine, powertrain which are the biggies.
I just wish it was a little more ready to tow. We had to upgrade the 4 blade pin trailer connection in the back ours came with to a 7 pin connector to get all the features of the lights on our trailer. Right now we are towing caerfully without a brake controller but for big trips we must have one. If it cannot pull this bably correctly, then I will have to trade it in on something else, like the truck my husband wants. (sob) View attachment 2553
I had a wireless break controller put on by the trailer dealer. Its mounted on the trailer. Once setup no messing around. I also got a weight distribution / sway control hitch.