Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Rust speckles all over the paint

I have little rust spots all over my Telluride I bought 2 weeks ago. Is this a common problem? Fixable? Advice on what to do? 3597C48A-6C33-4092-8262-B19ECA66C9DF.jpeg

How do you know it's rust and not caused by something else, like like tar, paint, etc?

OP
B
Thread Starter #3
I can’t say why it’s there exactly. We don’t drive on any tar/chip roads or new pavement in the last two weeks. Haven’t ran our sprinklers. It’s on the hood doors and tailgate.

I can’t say why it’s there exactly. We don’t drive on any tar/chip roads or new pavement in the last two weeks. Haven’t ran our sprinklers. It’s on the hood doors and tailgate.
That sounds like some sort of road spray, especially because of the fact that you also got it on the tailgate. Can you remove the speck? Is it dried on? Perhaps a contractor truck you were following was dripping paint or leaking oil?

I am having this same issue. I'm at the dealer now because it's getting worse. The dealer said to fill out a warranty request form, we'll see. It's also rust spotting on my chrome trim around the windows and it's bad. 7k miles, bought in September 20'.

Hey all, if this is your first light colored vehicle, what you're seeing there is called "Environmental Fallout" or "Rail Dust" and you'll think your car is rusting, it can get pretty bad, but it's no fault in the paint, it's just like iron filings landing on your paint and rusting above the clear. Iron removal sprays work great even if they are just another thing you need to do to take care of it!

My first light colored vehicle, i thought for sure something horrible had happened with the paint at the factory, and had never heard of this!

Geezus - I just learned a bunch of stuff on this thread. I had no idea this was a thing !

It is rail dust form the transport small parts of oxidized metal get stuck in the clear coat and start to rust if you take workhorse or a strong solvent and rub gently it will come off. I sold a ton of Tellurides last year and we had to overcome this a few times.

I have a 2021 Kia Telluride and the clear coat is coming off and the dealership service department sucks they are going to submit pictures to Kia but they told me that it is rock damage I do not live on a gravel road or travel a gravel road any suggestions on fighting this because dealership says it will be kicked back for rock damage. They are also replacing the AWD Coupling waited 6 months for the part. FED UP

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Maintenance, Warranty Issues & Trouble 5