Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Snorkel kit

I wonder how capable the Telluride's chassis is for doing hardcore offroading.

With out shots from under the hood I would be willing to bet that is just for show. I've been around the car world long enough to know that things are not always as they appear. the leather hood straps could be magnetic for all we know... I would stand in line for that push bar and ladder, I love that.

Sorry for the late post. I'm new to the Telly but have thoroughly been analyzing it prior to purchase. Snorkel is just for aesthetics. Air box is on driver side and there is a lot of hardware in the way to add a driver's side snorkel. I don't think it's possible.

Regarding hard off road, the chassis can probably handle it. There is a great video on the unibody in Youtube under "2020 Hyundai Palisade High Strength Steel Usage for Crash Protection" (it had a godawful long URL). There is another much longer one, but I couldn't find it. Hyundai developed their own ultra-high strength steel to compete with other companies lowering weight via greater use of aluminum. Since Hyundai is a steel manufacturer, they would prefer to use steel in Hyundai and Kia vehicles. The Telly's biggest problem is approach and departure angles. A lift kit would help too. They have too much hangover. Although there are some great videos of taking Telly's offroad, they aren't ideal for it like Land Rovers or Jeeps. The Telly's AWD system, although not truly 4WD and not truly a locking center differential, does a remarkably good job.

That said, all of this commentary is from someone who has not yet purchased one or driven it off road. I have owned a Land Rover Defender (the older D90) and a G-wagon, as well as many Subaru's. Was planning to buy the new Defender 110, but will actually be getting the Telly instead. Never intended to take any of them rock climbing, but I am confident in the driving I will do (sand, fire roads, ranger roads) it will be fine. My biggest complaints are: (1) no recovery points, although a Factor 55 HitchLink 2.0 will work fine for the receiver in the rear; and (2) no easy way to add a winch (hard to recover oneself with no winch).