Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Wireless Apple CarPlay questions

KiaTell22

1. What is the current best wireless CarPlay dongle? I've looked at a couple and there seems to be issues with lagging connections, response, etc.
2. Can 2 phones be connected with a primary & secondary status? Would prefer maps/waze from primary when primary is in the car and seamless reconfiguration when only the secondary is in the car. Both should be able to connect calls for handsfree capability when both phones are in the car.
3. When CarPlay is activated, will the car radio still be available? We don't have music on our phones and we really like the local radio stations.

Does wireless CarPlay work this way?

Stevepup

I bought one on Amazon a couple of years ago to use in my 2019 Nissan Kicks and it worked intermittently and overheated a lot. I still have it and am going to try it in my 2022 Telluride when it arrives next week. I'll let you know about it once I can give it a try.

I’ve tried a couple, the best being CarPlay2Air or something like that. Still garbage, with delay and random freezing up.

It’s better to just plug it in.

Yes, when operating CarPlay (plugged in or wireless with crappy adapter) you still have all radio functionality.

Update:

I still have my CarPlay2Air device and I get the urge to plug it in and give it “one more chance” about once or twice a month.

I’m always sorely disappointed, as the connection takes to long and is always buggy. Issues are usually obvious within a couple hours of use.

Until today.

I gave it another go and there was a software update, it appears from July 2022, but only showed up today. I did the update and spent the day in and out of the Telluride.

Good news! It seems to connect faster, doesn’t seem to freeze or lock up as it did before, and overall it’s a big improvement.

Time will tell if this is finally a viable daily solution, but I’ll update after using it a bit more.

I will say, I removed my ProClip / MagSafe mount and reverted to the wireless charger. I like how this is working on wireless and definitely appreciate the cleaner, unobstructed dash.

Stay tuned…..

Hoppy

OP
K

KiaTell22

Thread Starter #5
I'm not clear on the software update. Was that on the infotainment system or your CarPlay dongle?

I bought the CarlinKit 4 Adapter. There may be updated software but it said not to update it if it already works. It doesn't work 100% and I don't know if I should update it or not. Have about a week in the return window. Got the 4 because it was the newest (does apple and android - but we only have apple).

EDIT: I just went ahead and updated the software on the adapter. There were 2 new updates. Currently on the newest. Will test over the next few days.

I'm not clear on the software update. Was that on the infotainment system or your CarPlay dongle?
The CarPlay2Air device and most of its type have an ip address where you can check for updates. About 6-8 months ago, the CarPlay2Air ip lands on a nice configuration page with a “check for updates” button.

These dongles don’t have any interaction with the stock infotainment unit, except to display on the screen.

Day two.

I did the update from Kia on my Navigation-Infotainment system. I no longer have the “radio tubes” on radio display. Update went well.

CarPlay2Air wireless adapter is still working great. I didn’t believe this was possible, but very happy to have a viable solution.

Well, it seemed too good to be true….

….and it was.

Today the dash screen got hot and the wireless had significant lag. I think I’m done with the wireless and will keep plugging in.

OP
K

KiaTell22

Thread Starter #9
Well, that's too bad. How long were you using it before that happened? A couple hours? What makes you think the screen getting hot was due to the wireless? It doesn't know whether the signal was from your wired phone or wired wireless dongle.

I've only been out on a hour trip since updating mine. 2 stops. Connected a lot quicker than before and no issues using waze. Going to continue testing.

Well, that's too bad. How long were you using it before that happened? A couple hours? What makes you think the screen getting hot was due to the wireless? It doesn't know whether the signal was from your wired phone or wired wireless dongle.

I've only been out on a hour trip since updating mine. 2 stops. Connected a lot quicker than before and no issues using waze. Going to continue testing.
Only about 30 min in the car. I can’t say the heat was due the dongle.

Was driving and using Waze, played music via Apple Music. Locked up. I disconnected, started over. Tried multiple times, but the dongle didn’t seem to like multitasking.