Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Alarm keeps going off

Was at a store the other day and left the Sunroof open. Heard a horn blowing and it was my Telluride. Happened 3 times and finally I just left it unlocked. Thoughts?? Thanks

It's the passenger monitoring system that's probably causing the alarm to go off. With the sunroof opened it's probably getting a false reading that someone is in the car.

That is probably it (Rear Occupant Alert - ROA system)… it is disabled using the menu on the screen behind the steering wheel:

From page 4-22 of the user manual:

Annotation 2019-06-19 125754.jpg

I really think that KIA should have a special tag instructing users how to disable … this "feature" appears to confuse people. I never will have babies/small children in my vehicle so I definitely disabled it right away. I can appreciate the need for the feature and applaud Kia for including for parents.

OP
Bubba
Thread Starter #5
That is probably it (Rear Occupant Alert - ROA system)… it is disabled using the menu on the screen behind the steering wheel:

From page 4-22 of the user manual:

View attachment 1252
Thank You it is now disabled. Yes it is confusing...thanks for your detailed answer.

This has happened three times. All when I parked, cracked back windows and locked car. Kids got out of back. So how could it be the ROA system. 😳

OP
Bubba
Thread Starter #7
This has happened three times. All when I parked, cracked back windows and locked car. Kids got out of back. So how could it be the ROA system. 😳
I think having the windows open might set it off.

Hatchmo75

I’ve read numerous posts like this. It seems the sensor is very sensitive and wind blowing in could rattle a window shade or something and set it off. Also I read a post where someone left the windows cracked and a moth got in and the moth flying around was setting it off.

I am so glad I found this thread because I was about to have my Telly towed off on a flat bed! Thank you for the suggestion, I am going to try it out!
Welcome there’s lots of great info on this site.

Thanks. He mention the sunroof, but If I leave from the car and go inside the gas station while the engine running I hear a long beep sound not alarm.
That's the Key fob not in car warning which you can't disable. If you want to leave the engine on you can start it via the app.

I am so glad I found this thread because I was about to have my Telly towed off on a flat bed! Thank you for the suggestion, I am going to try it out!
Why are you having it towed?

spikerjr

Today I parked my Telly, I left the windows open just a bit , the alarm started going off, I went back closed the windows, it stopped the alarm, is this normal???

ucinn

Staff Member
Today I parked my Telly, I left the windows open just a bit , the alarm started going off, I went back closed the windows, it stopped the alarm, is this normal???
Yes, wind can effect the rear occupancy alert sensors. You will have to disable the ROE to leave windows open.

I hope I've fixed this issue on my 2020 EX, but there's one scary part that I haven't seen mentioned in all the posts here and elsewhere regarding the "random" occurrences of the alarm going off. I live in Florida. It's really hot here in the summertime. I had to go into a building for a few hours. I kept hearing a horn honking in the parking lot. I went outside and realized it was my vehicle doing it. I had left the windows cracked. I cycled the door locks and went back inside and it did it again a little while later. I went back out, cycled the locking system again, and went back in. After a few more times, I started worrying that this was somehow related to the amateur radio equipment I had installed and deliberately left operating while I was inside (the vehicle radio acts as a repeater for my hand-held radio) so I shut that off. The very last time I came out to deal with it was the scary part... Not only was the horn blowing, but the tailgate/liftgate had opened!

After reading the posts here, I do believe it was the ROA system at work (for the horn honking) and I have since disabled that (I haven't had a chance to check it yet but I feel pretty sure it will have stopped the problem). I started wondering about the tailgate issue. I wondered if that was a "last resort" action to hot weather and not responding to the rear seat occupancy alarm fast enough. Did the vehicle sense how hot it was inside and open the tailgate to try to reduce the interior temperature, given that it "thought" there was an occupant?

I called the dealership when this (the horn honking part) happened again (before I found the fix) and they had no clue - they'd never heard of any alarm "randomly" going off. I happened to find this thread here while I was on hold at one point with them and told them and they agreed that it might be possible (I didn't get into the tailgate issue since they didn't even know about the horn). I disabled the ROA system on the spot. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same tailgate experience.

Gil Chapin