Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Anyone else bought an S trim and regret not getting the power liftgate?

One of the features we completely overlooked is the power liftgate, anyone else regret not getting that feature?

rsohne

Not really. I suppose the upside is one less thing to break.

I got the EX. I didn't realize the S trim was available in Canada. Anyhow, I'm not sure I would choose the power liftgate. The T-ride manual says not to open the door more than five times in a short space of time and not to leave the powergate open as both these could drain the battery. Frankly I don't understand why the battery would be working hard when the hatch is open as I'd assume it would just lock into a non power use position while it waits for a close command. I live in Montreal with stretches -28 weather and I want my battery to pick a 100% starting up success rate over anything else. With the manual door on my present van I can go out a get shovel and scrappers etc when cleaning up the vehicle for a future ride, and use the hatch as much as I want without worrying that when I finally get around to driving somewhere that the battery might be spent.

I got the EX. I didn't realize the S trim was available in Canada. Anyhow, I'm not sure I would choose the power liftgate. The T-ride manual says not to open the door more than five times in a short space of time and not to leave the powergate open as both these could drain the battery. Frankly I don't understand why the battery would be working hard when the hatch is open as I'd assume it would just lock into a non power use position while it waits for a close command. I live in Montreal with stretches -28 weather and I want my battery to pick a 100% starting up success rate over anything else. With the manual door on my present van I can go out a get shovel and scrappers etc when cleaning up the vehicle for a future ride, and use the hatch as much as I want without worrying that when I finally get around to driving somewhere that the battery might be spent.
I think they tell you not to leave the liftgate open because the interior light comes on when the liftgate is open.

Yackie3

One of the features we completely overlooked is the power liftgate, anyone else regret not getting that feature?
I could not be more annoyed by this! I never even thought to ask. I have had a 2009 minivan for 10 years that had this feature. I feel like I went back in time! Such a fatal flaw!!! I asked the sales person just as I say in it after I bought it, “where is the liftgate button” and he informed me this model didn’t have one! I was in shock and regretted buying it at that moment. There is a button to move the seats, but not a life gate! So bizarre and truly a fatal flaw on this caliber of a trim level. I knew it didn’t have the foot release, but the button has worked well for me for 10 years. It wasn’t worth the $8k extra. Besides that I love it so far. I may try and get it installed aftermarket when it comes out if it stays under $1k. I can guarantee a lot of people will be complaining about the lack of this feature!

The Subaru Ascent has a huge problem with this. The liftgate keeps the communications bus active when open and there is a constant power draw which drains the battery in 4 to 6 hrs. Would be very interested if anyone has had an issue when the liftgate has been left open? I believe in the Ascent leaving ANY door open will drain the battery.

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
The Subaru Ascent has a huge problem with this. The liftgate keeps the communications bus active when open and there is a constant power draw which drains the battery in 4 to 6 hrs. Would be very interested if anyone has had an issue when the liftgate has been left open? I believe in the Ascent leaving ANY door open will drain the battery.
No issues. I've had mine open for 16 hours for a range day. Just remember to turn off your interior lights.

I could not be more annoyed by this! I never even thought to ask. I have had a 2009 minivan for 10 years that had this feature. I feel like I went back in time! Such a fatal flaw!!! I asked the sales person just as I say in it after I bought it, “where is the liftgate button” and he informed me this model didn’t have one! I was in shock and regretted buying it at that moment. There is a button to move the seats, but not a life gate! So bizarre and truly a fatal flaw on this caliber of a trim level. I knew it didn’t have the foot release, but the button has worked well for me for 10 years. It wasn’t worth the $8k extra. Besides that I love it so far. I may try and get it installed aftermarket when it comes out if it stays under $1k. I can guarantee a lot of people will be complaining about the lack of this feature!
I didn't realize that my EX didn't have homelink or memory seating until I got home lol. I agree with you these options should be standard especially since they've been around for the last decade.

OP
B
Thread Starter #10
I feel your pain, especially since my wife was watching videos of the auto lift gate feature before we bought it:cautious:

My son's 2018 Sorento EX has the power lift gate, but my Tellluride S trim does not. However, I bought it knowing his Sorento would have a few features that my Telluride doesn't have: power lift gate, Homelink, dual climate control, power adjustable passenger seat, panaramic sunroof, and auto power folding mirrors come to mind. I even think the grade of "leather" is better.

However, my Telluride is bigger, has lane keep assist, will stop if if it detects a collision while backing up, 2nd row captains chairs that fold with a touch of a button (I consider this an upgrade over bench seating), a more user friendly infotainment system (knobs for climate control instead of push button), and has a very smooth V6.

So, I guess I would prefer a power lift gate, I know my wife does, but I have other features that I much prefer. I guess it's about give and take at this trim level.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

I have the EX and honestly, while the power liftgate is nice, it's no big deal. I'd gladly trade it for the nicer wheels. But also, no big deal.

alexaf73

We were just talking about this over the weekend. It's a heavy liftgate and kind of awkward. Would be nice to have but not 100% necessary. You'd think for the price of the car that it would be included though.

Timscat

We didn't notice it not having the lift till we got home. Very disappointing! It's difficult for a short person like me to shut manually, especially when holding anything (like groceries) in your hand. If I could go back, I would definitely rethink this purchase.

natemorin

We’ve had problems with our power liftgate sporadically since we got our SX in June and now it hasn’t worked really at all in the last 10 days. Dealer is going to install a replacement motor for the liftgate which hopefully gets it working more reliably. So I wouldn’t be too disappointed by missing out on a power liftgate as a manual one is way better than not being able to open your liftgate at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jpjonesmd

No regrets. An outlier here, but after having a 2018 Subuar Forester with a powered liftgate and well as dealing with my wife's 2016 Honda Odessy, the manual liftgate on my 2012 Telluride S is an added feature.