Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Cold start screeching noise

Hey folks, my SXP recently had screeching noise from the engine when I start the engine first thing in the morning, it lasts about 10 seconds then fades away (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-68J5bocqVxzPLIDpabmgd_St6CMoxky/view?usp=sharing). It happens more frequently when it’s freezing cold, have you heard similar thing? My Telly's been in dealership for a week, but they could only duplicate the noise for about 1-2 s which is not long enough for them to find the source, the past week in my area was not cold enough though. They also shared the video with Kia regional engineering and they had no idea about this, just ask the dealership to replicate the problem... Dealer will try it one more time tomorrow morning (will be below 30F). BTW, dealership says that belt, tensioner are in good shape.

Hey folks, my SXP recently had screeching noise from the engine when I start the engine first thing in the morning, it lasts about 10 seconds then fades away (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-68J5bocqVxzPLIDpabmgd_St6CMoxky/view?usp=sharing). It happens more frequently when it’s freezing cold, have you heard similar thing? My Telly's been in dealership for a week, but they could only duplicate the noise for about 1-2 s which is not long enough for them to find the source, the past week in my area was not cold enough though. They also shared the video with Kia regional engineering and they had no idea about this, just ask the dealership to replicate the problem... Dealer will try it one more time tomorrow morning (will be below 30F). BTW, dealership says that belt, tensioner are in good shape.
Not happening on mine but I had other vehicles do that in the winter. It was the fanbelts in that case and a quick shot of spray lube took care of it. They should check the tensioner and pulley to make sure they are in alignment. The vehicle is too new to have that issue already in my opinion. If everything isn't aligned correctly within the belt system, it will cause a slip and begin to make noise. Hope that helps

OP
Y
Thread Starter #3
Not happening on mine but I had other vehicles do that in the winter. It was the fanbelts in that case and a quick shot of spray lube took care of it. They should check the tensioner and pulley to make sure they are in alignment. The vehicle is too new to have that issue already in my opinion. If everything isn't aligned correctly within the belt system, it will cause a slip and begin to make noise. Hope that helps
Thanks for your suggestion! They did checked belt and tensioner and said in good shape, the noise seems to be from the engine not the belt area. Currently it doesn't affect any performance, just noisy in cold days, but it may develop to engine problems in the future.

Thanks for your suggestion! They did checked belt and tensioner and said in good shape, the noise seems to be from the engine not the belt area. Currently it doesn't affect any performance, just noisy in cold days, but it may develop to engine problems in the future.
That's scary - "coming from the engine" is never something you want to hear. Keep us posted on any updates. Good luck !

I would have them remove the belt and start the vehicle, and see if the noise goes away. Components can look good, it be bad. And if that is coming from the engine that is not normal.

OP
Y
Thread Starter #6
I would have them remove the belt and start the vehicle, and see if the noise goes away. Components can look good, it be bad. And if that is coming from the engine that is not normal.
It's really a tricky thing only happens when it's below 30 F and the car has been outside for at least over night, once the noise is gone and the engine gets warmed up you won't hear it anymore in the day. Literally speaking they only have one chance for about 10 seconds each day to diagnose and it has to be a cold day below 30, 25 would be better.

OP
Y
Thread Starter #7
That's scary - "coming from the engine" is never something you want to hear. Keep us posted on any updates. Good luck !
They have tried several times this week, either no noise or not long enough for diagnosis, will pick her up later today as we missed our Telly! I will return to the dealership next week to have them work on it again, next week will be below 30 F everyday in my town. Actually I don't worry too much as this is a 24 mo lease, but we truly want to buy it out when the lease is up. The worst scenario would be that we have to return it due to unknown issue from the engine.

OP
Y
Thread Starter #8
OK so my Telluride has been in dealership the 2nd time, they just told me the noise is not long enough to diagnose, technician suspects it's from engine intake manifold or around it but cannot find the point, so in this way Kia won't reimburse any parts/labor. I also called the Kia customer support and it has no help, simply said if dealership cannot find the source of the problem, they have nothing to do. Both side are telling me to live with a problem that is related with engine, until it get worse or break down. Totally disappointed.

OK so my Telluride has been in dealership the 2nd time, they just told me the noise is not long enough to diagnose, technician suspects it's from engine intake manifold or around it but cannot find the point, so in this way Kia won't reimburse any parts/labor. I also called the Kia customer support and it has no help, simply said if dealership cannot find the source of the problem, they have nothing to do. Both side are telling me to live with a problem that is related with engine, until it get worse or break down. Totally disappointed.
Since this is a lease, drive the hell out of it. Just be happy you did not buy it.

Neen Dean

Omg yes!!! I noticed it when it was freezing (wind chill was -20) when I was at work and it had been sitting for 11hrs. I say ,"oh my baby is crying bc its so cold" lol. It only does that, for about 5-15sec. max, when it's like -20&plus with the wind chill.

OP
Y
Thread Starter #11
Omg yes!!! I noticed it when it was freezing (wind chill was -20) when I was at work and it had been sitting for 11hrs. I say ,"oh my baby is crying bc its so cold" lol. It only does that, for about 5-15sec. max, when it's like -20&plus with the wind chill.
You are not alone, I started a thread in another forum: https://tellurideforum.org/threads/cold-start-screeching-noise.6302/page-5#post-112600. You can find some useful information there. The noise is related with air intake and throttle body, KIA is investigating the issue.

Wind chill does not impact inanimate objects.

I have a 2021 SX Prestige and this has been happening to mine for the past 2 years when it gets cold out here in Western NY. I had the belt replaced and a crank pulley. Neither of which worked. I was able to video the engine compartment while it was squealing and sent it to KIA. They called me within 2 days and had me schedule another appointment with my dealership, and even gave me a case#. The dealership had it for a week and were able to diagnose a noise and heat coming from the A/C Compressor. They ordered a new compressor and it is currently back there again getting it replaced. I will have to hope this is the fix to the squealing in cold weather. The video I shared was after work one afternoon and the temp outside was 38 degrees. I was surprised to hear it, and how it lasted so long. Today is 12FEB24

UPDATE: Well, today is 13FEB24 and they replaced the A/C Compressor! I went to pick it up during lunch. About 36 degrees. They left it outside all night after they "fixed it yesterday. When I started it to drive off the lot, it immediately started that squealing again. So now we know, that the A/C compressor is not the problem. I am now driving a loaner car until they can figure it out. Hopefully get the KIA Engineers involved ASAP!! My loaner is a 2023 KIA Forte GT-Line. It's nice, but it's definitely not my beautiful Telluride SXP.