Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

How to: 7 pin wire harness and brake controller on 2020 Kia Telluride

Holy cow that's a lot of work. Great job @timlaw71 for being pioneer for Telluride onwers.

Anyone else noticed the description without the brake controller the Telly is only rated to tow 1650 lbs?

d2willys

Nice video. However there are some discrepancies that need to be pointed out.
1) The power wire from battery to brake controller MUST BE at least 12 gauge stranded wire. It looks smaller than 12 gauge.
2) The ground wire from battery to brake controller can be 18 gauge or larger, as it does not carry large currents, only the electronics of the brake controller.
3) The trailer brake wire (from brake controller to 7 way) MUST BE at least 12 gauge stranded wire. It looks smaller than 12 gauge.
4) The ground wire from 7 way to frame MUST BE at least 12 gauge. This brown wire is definitely smaller than 12 gauge. (You have to remember that this ground is carrying current of the brake magnets, along with the lights. And those loads are much more than one would realize, therefore the 12 gauge wire.
5) The brake controller brake signal wire can be small as this does not carry a lot of current. HOWEVER, the brake controller will try and back power the vehicle"s brake signal when using the slide control on the brake controller. This may result in damage or throwing error codes. Remedy: Install a 1N4001 diode in between the red wire on brake controller harness and the wire going to the brake signal. Make sure the band on the diode is facing the red wire on brake controller. The diode will prevent back feeding. Another note: Some vehicles do not use an actual brake switch, instead they use a variable potentiometer and run off 5 volts. Those type of vehicles will need the diode, due to having to get 12 volt brake signal at brake outputs to brake lights in most cases. DO NOT USE THE BRAKE WIRING IF THE VEHICLE USES THE POTENTIOMETER SENSOR.
6) I don't believe a circuit breaker is to be used with the brake controller. We use a 20 amp fuse.
7) If you do plan on running the 12 volts from the battery to the 7 way, again use 12 gauge wire. This wire should be fused at no more than 20 amps.

Please note: I am not trying to criticize, just point out issues that others should be aware of. BTW: I am an electrical engineer for HOPKINS.

Lastly, doing these mods may void the warranty of the vehicle.

Ike1988

Another point is that @timlaw installed the brake controller on the panel that has the knee air bag behind it. Consulted with a local RV repair shop and they advised against mounting anything to the airbag panel. Also, saw link with wireless controller, but have concerns on relying on my phone to apply trailer brakes in and emergency. All this to say that the 2021s are now coming out with 7 pin connectors, so surely Kia has come up with a preferred mounting location for a brake controller. I think the best option may be to mount a bracket on the left side under the fuse box and then attach the controller to the bracket. Anyone know where Kia/Kia service shops install the brake controller?