Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Is it worth it to clay bar a brand new car before waxing?

About to do a wax this weekend, need some detailing guru advice. The paint seems fairly smooth as far as I can tell.

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
Always clay before any sealant regardless of how new. You don't want to seal contaminants do you?

YES!!!!

Contaminants are constantly in the air and are always landing on your paint in one way or another.

I just washed and waxed my '18 Rav4 and my Telly this morning. I did not have clay bar in hand and my wife's 1 y/o Rav4 had black and orange speckles. I kicked myself for not ordering clay bars, but I wanted to proceed. I did have rubbing compound in hand, so I did remove most of them. I didn't want to do that for Telly (although there were some dealer created contaminations from underbody rust proofing)... perhaps I should have held off waxing until I ordered some clay bar... Sorry about my rant.

I just washed and waxed my '18 Rav4 and my Telly this morning. I did not have clay bar in hand and my wife's 1 y/o Rav4 had black and orange speckles. I kicked myself for not ordering clay bars, but I wanted to proceed. I did have rubbing compound in hand, so I did remove most of them. I didn't want to do that for Telly (although there were some dealer created contaminations from underbody rust proofing)... perhaps I should have held off waxing until I ordered some clay bar... Sorry about my rant.
If you haven't wax it yet you can still clay it.

Definitely clay it. I’ve found a product better than wax and it’s very easy to use, look up Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish. Clay the car, the spray this stuff on a microfiber and apply to car. Super easy and getting better, longer lasting results than a wax. Heck of a lot faster to apply.