Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Tailgate opens randomly

janzenrg

I will be walking up to the car, not the rear, or just sitting in it with the fob in my pocket, and the tailgate will open randomly and sometimes partway up, sometimes not and then sometimes will close by itself. I have removed the key fob from my pocket held it in my hand, not pressing anything, and tailgate will still open and shut by itself sometimes. Incredibly annoying. Plus I am concerned that it will open while I’m walking away from it and I will not notice it. Sensor dirty? I have changed to my spare fob, and it still happens.

I would first check the settings in cluster menu and make certain the hands-free option is turned off. If this solves the issue then you’ll be able to tell the dealer you’ve isolated the problem to that system. If it continues you’ll have a more complex issue, but surely a warranty one for the dealer to address.

OP
J

janzenrg

Thread Starter #3
I am not sure what you mean by the cluster menu. I did go through all the tailgate options under the menu settings. There is an auto open option in the tailgate menu for when you go out in back of the car, that has been turned off. I am still experiencing the problems. there is a three second reset when you press the rear tailgate button, but that didn’t seem to help anything either, other than beep as it was supposed to.

Definitely shouldn't do that. Mine I have to stand behind the tail gate for a few seconds before it opens it.

minkin

Experiencing similar issue. My car was parked and locked, via the door handle, however, two separate times I returned to find my tailgate open but my car still locked. I have a 2024 Telluride.

The problem may be due to the rear door sensor, which may be dirty or damaged. This may cause the tailgate to open and close accidentally. It is recommended that you contact a professional to diagnose and possibly repair this problem to avoid further inconvenience and ensure the safety of your vehicle.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Kia Telluride Discussions 2