Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Wind Noise on SXP with Factory Cross bars & Sport Visors - Noise on passenger side coming from the side mirror area

I have a wind noise that sounds like a whistling that starts around 45mph and increases in volume as you get to higher speeds. The sound seems to be on the passenger side around the side mirror. I don’t hear it on the drivers side. I didn’t hear the sound until I turned the radio way down. I checked the factory cross bars and found the had installed the front bar backwards and not in the correct positions on the rails. I had dealer fix, but did not eliminate the noise. The service department and I checked the sports visor on that side and it appears to be installed correctly, we also checked weather striping, etc on that side and it appears to be installed correctly. The service department thinks it could be turbulence from side mirror or related to sports visor, but wants to do some research. They indicated removing the sports visor would basically require a new one due to how it’s mounted with adhesive/tape. I indicated I would post to Forum for input. There are probably only a few members with SXP with cross bars & sport visors installed. Thanks in advance for any input.

parivera30

I don’t have a SXP or sports visor, but on my S trim with aftermarket crossbars, I experience a whistling noise that seems to come from the passenger side as well. I repositioned the crossbars a few times and still heard it at certain speeds. Thought it was just me, so my wife took the car a couple times and heard the same whistling noise on the right side. I removed the crossbars and it seemed to have stopped the noise for me.

OP
Colmo
Thread Starter #3
I don’t have a SXP or sports visor, but on my S trim with aftermarket crossbars, I experience a whistling noise that seems to come from the passenger side as well. I repositioned the crossbars a few times and still heard it at certain speeds. Thought it was just me, so my wife took the car a couple times and heard the same whistling noise on the right side. I removed the crossbars and it seemed to have stopped the noise for me.
Thanks - when I return to the dealer I will mention this and have them remove the bars to see if that is the cause.

OP
Colmo
Thread Starter #4
Thanks to @FireMartZ! Confirmed with Dealer that my crossbars were indeed installed backwards. First had them takeoff crossbars and I drove it - no whistling. Then had them re-install with arrow pointing forward. Took it for a drive and with crossbars installed correctly - no whistling!🙂

JEA1

I have a wind noise that sounds like a whistling that starts around 45mph and increases in volume as you get to higher speeds. The sound seems to be on the passenger side around the side mirror. I don’t hear it on the drivers side. I didn’t hear the sound until I turned the radio way down. I checked the factory cross bars and found the had installed the front bar backwards and not in the correct positions on the rails. I had dealer fix, but did not eliminate the noise. The service department and I checked the sports visor on that side and it appears to be installed correctly, we also checked weather striping, etc on that side and it appears to be installed correctly. The service department thinks it could be turbulence from side mirror or related to sports visor, but wants to do some research. They indicated removing the sports visor would basically require a new one due to how it’s mounted with adhesive/tape. I indicated I would post to Forum for input. There are probably only a few members with SXP with cross bars & sport visors installed. Thanks in advance for any input.
I have an SXP with the same whistling noise. I don’t have the cross bar or visors. Driving me crazy! Only 2 weeks old!