Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

2022 interior heater flow gets cold on idle mode.

Peter P

On initial purchase in Edmonton Alberta dealer in July 2021 my heater worked great when idling. Even in -30c temperatures. In the winter of 2023 I could smell antifreeze in the interior of vehicle off and on. Also noticed when idling heater went from hot to cold. Took vehicle into dealer and told them the situation Asked them to check heater core because of antifreeze smell. Checked out my complaint. Next day called me They said it needed new thermostat. They were on back order for 2 weeks. Took vehicle back in. Called me next day and said vehicle is ready. Said heater is working good. Picked up vehicle. Next day while idling vehicle same problem still no heat while idling. Did not replace thermostat. Totally did not listen to my initial heater and interior smell complaint. Took vehicle back in again. Then I got a call from service rep to tell me technician noticed small antifreeze stain on right side of engine block. Requires new right side head. Initial factory machining of head they bored hole to big and created the small antifreeze leak. Waited 2 weeks for head to come. Called me when head came in. Took vehicle back in. Gave me courtesy loaner. Said it would take about 13 hours. After about 4 days called them on update. Told me they received all the parts to complete repair. Not complete assembled head. Would take longer. A week later I called them for update. (Always had to call for updates). Told me they had to order more engine caskets to complete job. All said and done a total of 2 weeks said vehicle is ready all good as Tech took vehicle home overnight for final test. Picked up vehicle yesterday my wife said you should let it idle. Said should be okay now. Got home and left it in idle mode. Guess what surprise cold air heater flow. Turned around back to dealer. Tech came.out while vehicle was idling. Confirmed cold air flow. Looked confused. Told vehicle into shop. Service advisor came back and said tech mixed antifreeze to concentrated had to drain some amtifreeze and add water to get it to right mixture. Said antifreeze would gel up at previous concentration level. Said that is why it was now still blowing cold air. Told them to replace thermostat. Said they have a way of checking externally and tested good. Waited for an hour.
Told my wife that’s not going to correct cold air issue.
Advisor said it was good now. We were in a rush for other commits so we left.
When I got home let it idle and and guess what cold heater air flow.
Going to call dealer this morning to see what they plan to do next to correct issue.
Does anyone else have this heater problem?

Some other people have this problem, you’re not the only one. As of now there is no fix or reason why it does this.

OP
P

Peter P

Thread Starter #3
Some other people have this problem, you’re not the only one. As of now there is no fix or reason why it does this.
Got up this morning and antifreeze leaking on drive way. Called dealer, ripped them big time. They dropped off a K3 GT to drive and took my Telluride to dealer. Last winter the heater worked great. I was bragging how great this Telluride is. Starting to not believe that anymore.

Got up this morning and antifreeze leaking on drive way. Called dealer, ripped them big time. They dropped off a K3 GT to drive and took my Telluride to dealer. Last winter the heater worked great. I was bragging how great this Telluride is. Starting to not believe that anymore.
The dealership probably overfill the expansion tank and the anti freeze on the driveway was just the overflow. Probably thought there was an air bubble in the syste.

OP
P

Peter P

Thread Starter #5
The dealership probably overfill the expansion tank and the anti freeze on the driveway was just the overflow. Probably thought there was an air bubble in the syste.
No the expansion tank was 1/4 inch from full when I got home. The next morning it was1/4 above low line. Think they might have to pull engine again as leak is below center drive belt pulley. Will update once I hear from them.

Telluride blowing ambient air at idle is a known issue whether using A/C or heater. In fact, I read an article somewhere basically saying it's a poor design and there's nothing that can be done. No car is perfect, don't let this ruin your opinion.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

OP
P

Peter P

Thread Starter #7
No the expansion tank was 1/4 inch from full when I got home. The next morning it was1/4 above low line. Think they might have to pull engine again as leak is below center drive belt pulley. Will update once I hear from them.
Dealer called morning to say vehicle is ready. They told me they did not put on lower rear engine 11/4” hose on right. Got vehicle delivered in west Edmonton and exchanged vehicles. Heater is now working great and hot air flow when in idle mode.
I would take vehicle to dealer if you have heater problems as advisor said this problem is common with this issue I had.