Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Any way to completely disable ISG?

Idle Stop and Go... Okay, I know that each and every time I start the vehicle, I can press the button in the centre console to turn it off. But, what I'd really like to figure out is how to kill it completely so it never activates at all. The equivalent of a setting where you could either have it automatically come on... or not.... and retain it as a preferred setting. In the same manner how you can set different levels of alert or assistance for things like lane departure.

This isn't a big issue for me, more on the level of an annoyance (like a buzzing mosquito when you're trying to sleep). :)

Third day of ownership and loving the vehicle so far. Just grinding through the owner's manual, and I know what I'm asking isn't an official setting choice.

Anyone managed to pull this off yet?

I tried an earlier tip on this forum. I cut a 1/2" piece of plastic, the thickness of a credit card, and inserted it in the gap around the switch.
I trimmed it so it just barely protruded and was out of sight. This was over a month ago, and I have not thought about ISG since.

OP
CDPond
Thread Starter #3
So to confirm, the mechanical solution is to wedge the button down permanently by use of 1mm plastic strips? Does the button being permanently depressed result in any battery drain? I'm assuming not, but you know the old saying about making assumptions.... :) This sounds like a good interim solution, and hopefully someone knows of a system hack that can be installed to digitally neuter it. Thank you for your post.

ucinn

Staff Member
That is the only way right now. It was that way for the Stinge also, but sharkracing has come up with a memory module for it to retain the last setting for ISG and auto hold. I would imagine in time, they will make one for the Telluride.

If the battery is disconnected, the ISG battery sensor needs to be "re-calibrated" in order for the ISG to function. See the procedure section 5-48 in the owners manual. Anyone tried this? This (disconnect) should disable the system but its unclear if it would eventually reset it self. Worth a try. My ISG has never worked but the battery was disconnected early on. Lucky me....

OP
CDPond
Thread Starter #7
That is the only way right now. It was that way for the Stinge also, but sharkracing has come up with a memory module for it to retain the last setting for ISG and auto hold. I would imagine in time, they will make one for the Telluride.
Thanks for posting... I just looked at the component on their site, and if they create one for the Telluride, it's pretty reasonably priced and fit for purpose. Yes, this is the sort of thing (or a firmware hack) that I was looking for. I don't see the Telluride listed on their Kia vehicle list yet, but maybe they'll eventually start producing components for it. I'd love a nice sell of sill plates, and the ones they made for the Stinger look pretty nice. I've stored their site for future reference. Once again, thank you for the info.

EnginerdVT

Has anyone attempted to use the module Shark sells? They told me they are delayed in producing one for the Telluride as they do not have access to them. Someone helped them prototype the one for the proximity module so that is operational and proven at this point.

tib2d2

HI everyone, just joined the boards. Have had my Telluride since Feb and this is the one thing I keep wondering if I can disable. Any word if there is a workaround or one coming in 2021?

HI everyone, just joined the boards. Have had my Telluride since Feb and this is the one thing I keep wondering if I can disable. Any word if there is a workaround or one coming in 2021?
Since "Jerry-rigs" such as wedging the button down 100% of the time effectively solve the issue, all you have to do is remove the button and determine which wires are becoming the new circuit when the button is depressed, and switch them around. Then, reinsert the button. This way, you don't have pieces of a credit card or business card wedged into the side of the button, or 3M sticky tape or anything, and you could press the button to activate the ISG (if for whatever reason you wanted to again - maybe at a drive-through window or something). It would effectively just make the switch operate opposite of how it does naturally. I'm going to pull my button in the near future and I'll try to remember to snap a couple pics along the way and upload them.

My AutoStop Eliminator arrives today. I already watched the install video and expect it to take less than 10 minutes. No modification to the vehicle, no warranty concerns, and the button remains usable. 100% win.

Iā€™ve had their products in the past and itā€™s absolutely worth the $100. I donā€™t get how anyone could buy a $40-50k vehicle and balk about $100ā€¦

My AutoStop Eliminator arrives today. I already watched the install video and expect it to take less than 10 minutes. No modification to the vehicle, no warranty concerns, and the button remains usable. 100% win.

Iā€™ve had their products in the past and itā€™s absolutely worth the $100. I donā€™t get how anyone could buy a $40-50k vehicle and balk about $100ā€¦
Would you buy a decal for $75, solely because the vehicle was $40-50k? The same logic applies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you buy a decal for $75, solely because the vehicle was $40-50k? The same logic applies.

Well, since I dislike decals and remove all mine, thatā€™s a hard no.

Iā€™m not suggesting everyone buy the stop start module, but if the ā€œfeatureā€ of ISG annoys, then itā€™s just $100 to remedy it.

Iā€™m pretty sure youā€™re smart enough to know what I meantā€¦..

Well, since I dislike decals and remove all mine, thatā€™s a hard no.

Iā€™m not suggesting everyone buy the stop start module, but if the ā€œfeatureā€ of ISG annoys, then itā€™s just $100 to remedy it.

Iā€™m pretty sure youā€™re smart enough to know what I meantā€¦..
You sound like you're also a Harley owner. Where everything in the store has a floor price of $100