Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Can the tow package and Self-Leveling Rear Suspension be installed after purchase?

Krug

I've been waiting for an update too. He's probably using his new hitch and went on a road trip lol.

Now just wondering, when you refer to "tow package" is that just the hitch assembly or the entire package? My GMC has the tow package from the factory, hitch assembly, larger cooling system, wiring setup for trailer brakes, special transmission gearing option and I can tow 5,000 lb. with that package. If you get the same truck without the factory tow package you can put a hitch assembly on the back but towing capacity is only 2,000 lb. Because I tow a motorcycle trailer w/ bike and sometimes a boat I wouldn't want anything less then the factory tow package with 5,000 lb. capacity.

Now just wondering, when you refer to "tow package" is that just the hitch assembly or the entire package? My GMC has the tow package from the factory, hitch assembly, larger cooling system, wiring setup for trailer brakes, special transmission gearing option and I can tow 5,000 lb. with that package. If you get the same truck without the factory tow package you can put a hitch assembly on the back but towing capacity is only 2,000 lb. Because I tow a motorcycle trailer w/ bike and sometimes a boat I wouldn't want anything less then the factory tow package with 5,000 lb. capacity.
If you order the tow package from the factory it comes with the hitch, trim piece, wiring and self leveling rear suspension. If you're installing the tow package afterwards you'll have the buy all those items separately. As far as I know towing capacity will still be the same since there's no other modifications to the cooling, brakes or transmission gearing.

Mavtek

FYI, I have the factory hitch with "Self Leveling suspension".

So loaded mine with around 400lbs and the rear of the vehicle compressed down 1.5". Started the vehicle and placed it in drive then back in park, then reverse, then back to park. Measured the ride height and nothing changed. It did not raise the rear of the vehicle. It appears the "self leveling suspension" does absolutely nothing.

FYI, I have the factory hitch with "Self Leveling suspension".

So loaded mine with around 400lbs and the rear of the vehicle compressed down 1.5". Started the vehicle and placed it in drive then back in park, then reverse, then back to park. Measured the ride height and nothing changed. It did not raise the rear of the vehicle. It appears the "self leveling suspension" does absolutely nothing.
What about after you drive it for a bit?

Mavtek

What about after you drive it for a bit?
From what I measured nothing. Rear wheel well went from 32.5" off the ground to 31" and stayed at 31". I've had this type of suspension before and when it was loaded and the vehicle was turned on an air compressor would turn on, it was very audible, and the rear of the vehicle would rise up within seconds. This is not what happened with the Telluride. Also, I see no air hoses or wiring of any kind connected to the rear shocks of the vehicle. I do not understand how these shocks are "self leveling". Can anyone enlighten me here?

Mavtek

I see that too, but how does that equate to being "self leveling"? All I can really say is that I feel duped here.
I don't have the tow package on mine but yeah I originally thought there would be some kind of airbags down there to lift the rear.

From what I measured nothing. Rear wheel well went from 32.5" off the ground to 31" and stayed at 31". I've had this type of suspension before and when it was loaded and the vehicle was turned on an air compressor would turn on, it was very audible, and the rear of the vehicle would rise up within seconds. This is not what happened with the Telluride. Also, I see no air hoses or wiring of any kind connected to the rear shocks of the vehicle. I do not understand how these shocks are "self leveling". Can anyone enlighten me here?
Kia and Hyundai uses a similar system to this, you can see how it works. There's no air hoses associated with the self-leveling shocks but you'll need to drive it around in order for the system to lift itself up.

SACHS Nivomat System

KiaCraig

Anyone know if the tow package and Self-Leveling Rear Suspension can be dealer installed? Some of the ones I've been looking at online doesn't come with the optional Tow Package.
With other mfr. factory tow packages include an upgraded alternator and trailer light wiring. Plus, not sure I trust a dealer to install self-leveling suspension.

With other mfr. factory tow packages include an upgraded alternator and trailer light wiring. Plus, not sure I trust a dealer to install self-leveling suspension.
Yep, that's what I have in my GMC Acadia plus a tow button that changes transmission shift points making them more optimal for towing. With the tow package I can tow 5,000 lb. without the package you can only tow 2,000 lb.