Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Cargo room question

Ploky

Is there enough space behind the 3rd row for 2 large suitcases (the size you would definitely have to check at an airport)? Thanks everyone.

Is there enough space behind the 3rd row for 2 large suitcases (the size you would definitely have to check at an airport)? Thanks everyone.
We got two Travel Pro 26" in there by lifting up the rear floor cover and placing them upright side by side. Also had to lean the rear seat slightly forward so the tailgate can close.

OP
P

Ploky

Thread Starter #4
We got two Travel Pro 26" in there by lifting up the rear floor cover and placing them upright side by side. Also had to lean the rear seat slightly forward so the tailgate can close.
Thanks for the reply. Did you have to push back the seats and lock them back in place after you shut the tailgate or are they adjustable and you can just adjust them forward to fit them? I want to make sure kids can still fit in the back seats and we can have the suitcases if possible.

Thanks for the reply. Did you have to push back the seats and lock them back in place after you shut the tailgate or are they adjustable and you can just adjust them forward to fit them? I want to make sure kids can still fit in the back seats and we can have the suitcases if possible.
Yes I was able to lean the chair back when the tailgate was down. I have an SX so the auto tailgate wouldn't close when it senses pressure.

OP
P

Ploky

Thread Starter #6
Yes I was able to lean the chair back when the tailgate was down. I have an SX so the auto tailgate wouldn't close when it senses pressure.
Thanks for the help!

Just picked some family from the airport not too long ago, had no problem fitting one large suitcase and two carry-ons. The key is to remove the floor cover.

OP
P

Ploky

Thread Starter #9
I don't own yet. Just researching at the moment but when I looked at the dealership it looks like you could get two medium, not sure about large sized ones to fit upright if you lift up the floor cover as Mary said above.

Let's not forget that the 3rd and 2nd row (if you get bench) split 60/40. So unless you're carrying 7-8 people you can fold some of the seats down independently.

I haul a lot of stuff on occasion, particularly going over 1,000 miles back and forth to Florida in the winter for an extended stay, so usable cargo capacity is an important consideration for me and my wife making the trip with no other passengers. I'm trying to compare apples to apples with my current Toyota Sienna minivan with the 2nd. row tumbled forward and 3rd. row folded flat vs. the Telluride with 2nd. and 3rd. rows folded flat.

For anybody interested, it might surprise you that the minivan in the tumble-forward mode is a foot shorter in cargo area length than the Telluride according to my tape measure applied to the Sienna and Telluride dimensions I've seen elsewhere, 6' vs 7'. The van makes up for that with a wider rear door opening and wider interior dimensions. However, you'd have to remove the second row seats in the Sienna to get the full cargo area length at which point it would carry that 4' x 8' sheet of plywood flat on the floor.

So, manufacturer stated cargo capacity (for which there is no industry standard anyway) can be quite deceptive. If you are like me who finds removing seats a royal pain while being left with only one passenger seat once I get to my long distance destination, you may never get anywhere near the 150 cf. max cargo capacity Toyota states for the Sienna compared to Kia's stated 87 cf. in the Telluride that requires no adjustments..

This brings me to a question. To me usable cargo space implies not blocking visibility. The interior dimensions I've yet to find for the Telluride are the height from the floor to the bottom of the rear window and the floor to the top of the seatbacks (not including headrest). Somewhere in that range is what I would consider the prudent maximum for piling up stuff in the back. If anybody cares to get out their tape measure for those numbers I'd surely appreciate it.

It does appear that the van somehow has noticeably more useable height according to this criteria, but it would be helpful to know how much.