Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

City MPG a bit lower than advertised in my experience

klfields0

Got my 2022 EX Telluride.

Nice.

When I see others owners on the road - because where I live there are not that many - it's not unusual to nod or waive to each other. My friends like the car. I have no complaints about the car other than one really big one.

Miles per Gallon in the city/hwy.

I spotted a Telluride just like mine. I talked to the person and discovered I knew her. She said people were stopping up to her asking about the car since they were waiting to get their own. She said it's a great car except the gas mileage in the city is not anywhere near what's stated in the advertising.

She's right. I get about 14 miles per gallon but closer to 30 on the highway ( a nice surprise). If I had known the city mileage would have been that far off, I might not have bought the car. I did expect about 16-17 but am surprised at 14 mpg. Anyone else getting similar city mpg. I'm starting to see more complaints on the web about this one flaw. I have no other complaints. I love the car otherwise.

KJNCJSJK

That's not good at all. I have been getting between 20 and 26 mpg. I ran a tank of gas through all of the settings on the drive mode and I get better mileage in smart mode. The best I got was 29.7 mpg, but I had to pay real close attention to how I was driving. These tests were all off highway driving usually 50 mph or less through the whole tank. If I drive it hard I have seen mileage like you talk about.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
K

klfields0

Thread Starter #3
Thanks, helpful. I'll try Eco more. The dealer said I'd like comfort most.

I think the reason for the lower city mpg (highway is great!) has to do with:
1. I live in the Northeast; some cold mornings, where there is ice build up, I warm up the car for 5 minutes or so (hate idling and it's best to drive as soon as possible).
2. Many of my trips are 5 miles or less and involve idling (school drop off lines) a little. Maybe the traffic lights as well (city)..

I know there is a feature to have the engine shut off while not moving. I don't use that. I wonder about that feature - constant engine starts and the life of the starter.

Things that impact fuel mileage:

- driver
- winter fuel blend
- tire pressure (yeah, sometimes not correct at delivery)

There really isn’t a “setting” for fuel economy, so it’s not as if the manufacturer could do anything about it.

Frankly a full size SUV wouldn’t be a good choice if fuel economy was an issue.