Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Does automatic braking work when cruise control is off?

Since there's no way of testing this without the risk of getting in an accident. Does anyone know if the automatic braking system kicks in when cruise control is off?

The steering wheel vibrated like crazy when I was going too fast and car in front of me was making very slow right turn. I was going to shift over to straddle the center lane to avoid him/her, but I think that's the only alert I got. No auto-steering or auto-brake to avoid collision.

I thought that this was a standard safety feature as well as pedestrian detection. We'll have to see the IIHS test results to be sure. They put dummy cars (and pedestrians) in front of their test vehicles! But DriveWise is shown as standard. From the brochure …. drive wise.jpg

ucinn

Staff Member
Yes, on the Stinger I know it does. It saved me on an accident when someone pulled in front of me. The brakes came on before I even had a chance to react.Technology is wonderful.

bmonaco

Yes, I can also confirm this. I was once backing out of an angled parking spot, and didn't see another car also backing out. It stopped me from hitting the other car immediately. I thought I hit a curb, but it was the brakes being applied. Even got a message on the dash. Saved us from dealing with an annoying parking lot fender-bender. This was only after owning the Telluride for about a week so I would've been even more upset, lol. Loving the tech in this thing!

the_anj

I think it does. The first time the car sounded the alarms was when a car I was following (they were a bit ahead of me; I was not immediately following, but no other cars in-between) took its sweet, sweet time turning right into a gas station. As I approached I timed it so I didn't need to come to a complete stop. Alarms went off and I swear that the car braked. It startled me at the time and I remember commenting to my wife that it wasn't me that braked (the brake was kind of "rough" and would have been viewed as an over-reaction to passengers).

That was maybe 3 days into owning it, at the end of March. Since then I've had similar situations including this morning where it did not brake but the alarms went off. Perhaps the braking piece is a secondary defensive action based on whatever variables it keeps track of. Or maybe I was crazy that day at the end of March and it was me that braked, but I don't think so.

Does anyone ever read the manual? There is a section about Driver Setting.
I spent quite a bit of time on the settings until I found a setting best suited to me. Just saying...

Does anyone ever read the manual? There is a section about Driver Setting.
I spent quite a bit of time on the settings until I found a setting best suited to me. Just saying...
When in doubt, RTFM!

ucinn

Staff Member
Emergency braking for the collision avoidance will.

GregGH

When in doubt, RTFM!
Hi

On the Canadian Manual ( all 580 pages of pdf goodness ) it is on page 5-56 -and there are a bunch is points ( like covers speed from 5mph thru 50 mph ( not higher ?? hmm ...wonder why ) and can be turned off with other settings ...boy - this is like learning to fly a Boeing 737Max8 ...:)

Side point ... page 5-62 - says do NOT use license plate molding , ( quote below ) hmm ???
  • Do not apply license plate molding or foreign objects such as a bumper sticker or a bumper guard near the radar sensor. Doing so may adversely affect the sensing performance of the radar.

Side point #2 .... images on bottom of 5-61 and top of 5-62 seem like the PDF version are missing something ??

see image below ... just the Cdn version is bad ??
Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 12.23.03 PM.png