Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

First fatal accident involving a Kia Telluride?

WAKIA

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/2-killed-in-head-on-collision-along-Rt-211-511777991.html

PAGE COUNTY, Va. (WHSV) — Two people were killed in a three-vehicle crash along Route 211 in Page County on Monday afternoon.

According to Virginia State Police, a 2020 Kia Telluride was heading west on Rt. 211 when the vehicle ran off the roadway at 4:54 p.m. just before the intersection with Bixlers Ferry Road. That's just west of Luray.

Police say the Kia ran off the left side of the road, across the median, and hit an eastbound 2005 Chevy Impala head-on. The impact of the crash sent the Kia into an eastbound 1999 GMC Envoy as well.

Police identified the driver of the Kia as Jonathan D. Kite, a 37-year-old Elkton man, who died at the scene as a result of his injuries. He was wearing a seat belt.

The driver of the Chevy was also killed at the scene of the crash. He's only been identified as an adult male until police are able to notify next of kin.

The driver of the GMC was a 27-year-old woman from Luray, and she was uninjured.

Trooper N. Wakeman is investigating the crash, and police were assisted by the Division 2 Accident Reconstruction Team.

I really hope the driver assist systems did not fail or falter resulting in an accident...

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
I really hope the driver assist systems did not fail or falter resulting in an accident...
The driver assist wouldn't make the vehicle turn as it did in this accident.

Sad. I hope this gets the attention of Kia and they get a chance to review the black box.

I do hope that this is driver error and not a systems error … there's always the possibility that the driver was too reliant on the driver ASSIST functions. It is sad news for all those involved. Would be good to get updates on this issue as they become available.

ucinn

Staff Member
Could be a driver medical event also, never know until they finish the autopsies and investigation of the vehicles..

Terrible tragedy; certainly critical the cause is determined.

Sorry to hear this happened BUT if the Telluride was faulty, it's good it is being brought to light now before many others are hurt or killed. Peole think I am crazy when I say "what if the safety system gets a mind of it's own and takes off". It's a little nerve reckoning to have the steering wheel turning the vehicle for you. ASSUMING the safety system contributed to the accident.

SORRY this happened and may they RIP ❤

What I find interesting is why does the window sticker say 'not rated' for the Gov't safety ratings?? Shouldn't there be some information there?? 🤔

Attachments

Sorry to hear this happened BUT if the Telluride was faulty, it's good it is being brought to light now before many others are hurt or killed. Peole think I am crazy when I say "what if the safety system gets a mind of it's own and takes off". It's a little nerve reckoning to have the steering wheel turning the vehicle for you. ASSUMING the safety system contributed to the accident.

SORRY this happened and may they RIP ❤

What I find interesting is why does the window sticker say 'not rated' for the Gov't safety ratings?? Shouldn't there be some information there?? 🤔
Yep there should be. But first they have throw the cars around the play pen for a while. After they do that, they scorch their fingers by doing some maths. Then they get out the big red crayon and write something in those boxes. None of this happens until they buy the car off the lot.

It takes awhile because headlights on the lower trims are horrible and they always do a back and forth on them with the manufactures.

Very sad news - prayers for the families for sure. Sounded like a horrific crash regardless of the vehicles involved. Hard to say how many cars would have faired much better.