Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

How To: Change your oil on a Kia Telluride

Found this Oil changing how to for the Telluride

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bt7kVxuCcM

Things you'll need:
  • Oil Filter: 26320 3CKB0
  • Kia Brand Filter (For Warranty Purposes)
  • 10mm socket - to remove plastic cover
  • 17mm socket - to remove drain plug
  • 27mm Oil Filter Socket - to open oil filter housing
  • 5w-30 ACEA A5 Rated Oil, roughly 6.5 qts
  • Catch Pan - to catch the oil
  • Funnel, rags and you'll likely want a set of ramps if you don't already have some.

bensam03

Thanks for the video!
Questions...
-did you put any oil into the oil filter before you put it on? Necessary?
-was there a crush washer for the drain plug? did you replace or just reuse? I've been under the impression that you should always replace, but my mechanic just reuses without a problem (so he says - he also admitted he uses a vacuum to pull out the oil, not sure if that was always the case).
-In your "things you'll need" section, you list oil filter then kia brand filter... are those 2 items referring to the same thing? or did you also change the air filter?

Thanks!

Things you'll need:
  • Funnel, rags and you'll likely want a set of ramps if you don't already have some.

Your time and talent are much appreciated. I have just traded my 2019 Sorento V-6 for a 2022 Telluride. Over the years I have usually changed my own oil and filters on my bikes, trucks and cars, but the bolts and protective cover beneath the Sorento's engine made things difficult. I'm very glad to see that the Telluride does not present the same challenges. Thanks

F16OZ

A few notes to answer questions above, along with a few comments from doing this a few times:

1. Don’t add oil to the filter cup before reinstalling the new filter…the filter housing is at an angle and you will just make a mess.
2. Yes, you should install a new crush washer for the 17mm oil pan bolt. If you use the WIX filter below, it comes with a new washer and gasket (no need to replace the gasket unless the old one is damaged.
3. I like the WIX WL-10033 oil filter, as it has better seals on both ends of the filter than the KIA OEM filter...nine bucks on Amazon.
4. Torque spec for the 17mm oil pan bolt is 25-33 ft/lbs…I torque mine to 29, and with a new washer, you won’t have any issues—this is a rugged steel oil pan (not soft aluminum).
5. Get yourself a 27mm x 3/8” drive socket on Amazon for the oil filter housing (about 8 bucks)…makes the oil filter replacement process a lot easier.
6. The video above recommends a certain oil…I agree with his philosophy for GDI engines, but if you want the best base-stock synthetic oil, use Amsoil Signature 5w-30 full synthetic…it is certified to 25K miles with proper filter changes and you may see a slight bump in your MPG. Buy 2 gallons and you will have an extra quart for oil burn prior to your next interval change. (I use 7 quarts for the oil change WITH a new filter…6.5 quarts is not up to spec).
7. Make them snug, but don’t strip the 10mm bolts on the plastic cover when reinstalling.
8. Floride added a decent video above—there are others on YouTube if you want some different prospectives…search “Kia Telluride oil change”
9. Finally, I suggest that you get the car front tires up on 3-4” blocks as a minimum to make room to get under the vehicle on a dolly. As always, jack stands in place will ensure safety.

Hope that helps. About a 30 minute job.

Jollymon

Things you'll need:
It does not void a warranty to use an aftermarket filter of any kind as long as it is a direct fit. It’s law. They may refuse to replace something if they can show that the maintenance was not done correctly, but that’s it. Keep all receipts from the purchase of the oil and filter, or report it to CarFax as soon as you change it with pictures of the oil, the filter, used oil, old filter, etc. You can do that yourself with an account. Way worth it.