Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

I keep crashing into my other car!!!

Am I an idiot?

• Not completely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So I’m a little bit stupid and apparently have attention issues…please don’t judge.

I’m not a used to push button start. I’m accustomed to turning a key to start a car, but MORE IMPORTANTLY, I’m accustomed to the car forcing me to put it in park in order to grab my keys and go.

With push button, I keep pulling into the driveway, shutting the engine, grabbing my keys, and running inside. Notice that I skipped the step of putting the car in park.

Then my car slowly rolls forward and crashes ever so gently into my old Jeep!!!

The first few times I’d do something idiotic to try to stop it from rolling. Note: putting your foot in front of the back tire doesn’t work. Now I just put my hands on my hips, shake my head, and wait for that sickening sound. It’s happened too many times.

Is there a setting that prevents you from shutting the engine if the car is NOT in park? I can’t imagine a scenario where you’d want to shut your engine if you’re not parked, so I think this might be a thing.

Please help protect me from myself.

So I’m a little bit stupid and apparently have attention issues…please don’t judge.

I’m not a used to push button start. I’m accustomed to turning a key to start a car, but MORE IMPORTANTLY, I’m accustomed to the car forcing me to put it in park in order to grab my keys and go.

With push button, I keep pulling into the driveway, shutting the engine, grabbing my keys, and running inside. Notice that I skipped the step of putting the car in park.

The first few times I’d do something idiotic to try to stop it from rolling. Note: putting your foot in front of the back tire doesn’t work. Now I just put my hands on my hips, shake my head, and wait for that sickening sound. It’s happened too many times.

Is there a setting that prevents you from shutting the engine if the car is NOT in park? I can’t imagine a scenario where you’d want to shut your engine if you’re not parked, so I think this might be a thing.

Sounds like you need to trade in for a Palisade. Since that has an electronic shifter, any time you turn off the car, it automatically shifts to park. Or if you open the door with the car in gear, it’ll shift to park.

Or, just put your Telluride in park before you turn it off and get out, like what you had to do with basically every other car with an automatic transmission ever.

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
Sounds like you need to trade in for a Palisade. Since that has an electronic shifter, any time you turn off the car, it automatically shifts to park. Or if you open the door with the car in gear, it’ll shift to park.

Or, just put your Telluride in park before you turn it off and get out, like what you had to do with basically every other car with an automatic transmission ever.
Agreed! For whatever reason I have a mental block and I just don’t do it. Eventually I will. Either that or I’ll park on a hill, total my car, and take your advice and buy a Palisade.

I’m still holding out hope that there’s a setting for this though.

BTW - You didn’t take my poll, but I think I know your answer!

You get points for sharing this publicly, but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t. Now go stand in the corner of the garage for 15 minutes and try it again tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, I tried to re-create your scenario tonight when I got home from work. I seriously don’t understand how this is a problem… if you push the start/stop button when you’re in gear, it won’t even turn the car fully off, it kicks it into accessory mode and beeps at you to tell you to put the car in park. If you ignore it, and you open the door, it will beep at you more… and the car will still be in accessory mode, not fully off.

If you’re really concerned about continuing to do this, try making sure you turn on auto hold at some point during your travels… if you do that, it will automatically apply the parking brake when you push the start/stop button. You will still have the problem of being in gear and the car not being off off since it’s in accessory mode, but at least then it won’t roll when you take your foot off the brake. Although, if you can’t figure out how to put the car in park first, I doubt you’ll remember to always turn on auto hold each time you drive the car.

Realistically, if you can’t remember to put the car in park when you are done driving it, there’s not much that can be done to help you. There is no setting to magically put the gear selector in park when you turn it off, that’s not possible on something with a physical shifter. Try the auto hold thing if you really don’t think you can get in the hang of putting the car in park. I don’t know how long you’ve been driving, but seriously, this should not be a problem.

If this truly isn't satirical, and it sounds like it always happens to you at home, specifically. Why don't you put a wheel chock where you always park your Telluride, that way it'll never hit your old Jeep when you forget to put it in park?

Make a checklist like a pilot and have it on by the AC controls. The fact that you’re only doing it at home sounds like something distracts you once you pull in. Maybe it’s your phone or something, if that’s not the case you need to stop driving before you hurt someone then try to pass blame on Kia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shane_yank

This is hysterical, but also somewhat relatable.

I've never had a push start vehicle, this will be my first. In all of my previous traditional key turn vehicles, it is impossible to remove the key unless the vehicle is in park.

Admittedly, on a handful of occasions, I've had a brain fart and turn off the car while still in gear. Being unable to remove the key was a good reminder that I'm not in park yet.

So, I get it. Hopefully I wont let it happen now that I know it's a "thing" :LOL:

eeldude

My son, who is 16 and a new driver, will put it in park and then gets out. Note he skips pushing the stop button so the engine is still running.
When he finally gets to drive by himself he will return to a running car or God forbid he sneaks home at night, parks in the garage and kills the whole family with carbon monoxide!
At least your mistake is not deadly!

eeldude

If this truly isn't satirical, and it sounds like it always happens to you at home, specifically. Why don't you put a wheel chock where you always park your Telluride, that way it'll never hit your old Jeep when you forget to put it in park?
Wheel chock is a good solution but better fix the behavior before the whole thing is at the bottom of a lake!