Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Is there really a problem with the windshields on the Telluride?

I think we should really keep tabs on how many people are having busted windshields. There are two Telluride owners that I know with broken windshields are already.

Attachments

I agree. My passenger window is cracked. Never had a cracked anything in the last 19 years. The fine folks on this forum show me that it was definatly hit, probably by a rock, and I agree, but are they weaker by any chance???

I think we should really keep tabs on how many people are having busted windshields. There are two Telluride owners that I know with broken windshields are already.
Two different cars right? IDK but the first one looks like a boulder hit it! The last two looks like a small impact spot, but the damage spread out through a large area. How big was the debris? Do you know?

BTW, Kia Service said I should make an appointment to have it looked at. No one can believe I have a crack and expected it to shatter. They think it should be tracked as a possible defect in performance. (Passenger Front Window)

OP
J
Thread Starter #7
Two different cars right? IDK but the first one looks like a boulder hit it! The last two looks like a small impact spot, but the damage spread out through a large area. How big was the debris? Do you know?
Two different Telluride with rock damage.

guyon

i have contacted kia the told me to come into dealer they will let me know if it is wty also ill have to pay forchecking if its not wty i can see where this is going i was a service manager for hyundai many years ago i think i know what the outcome will be

You had multiple impact damage and a crack, right? I doubt they’ll cover it under warranty.

My wife has a late model Subaru Outback. Those are known to have defective windshields causing stress fractures. With my naked eye it looked like a stress fracture since I didn’t see any impact damage. The dealer took a ball point pen to the crack and determined that it was cracked from road debris. He showed me the spot and I could barely see the impact damage but it was there.

Are there any formal Kia notices/bulletins that tells how many Telluride owners are experiencing issues with the windshield, etc. and what they are doing to fix them??

Not disputing you or minimizing the problem. I also realize it’s not statistically accurate and has many complex variables, but just food for thought.

276 million registered vehicles

https://hedgescompany.com/automotive-market-research-statistics/auto-mailing-lists-and-marketing/

13-14 million windshield replacement

http://www.carwindshields.info

14/276=5% of vehicles need windshield replacement.

Forum members: 563
Reported Damage: 3

3/563=0.5% window damage.
Speaking just for myself - I'm a forum member, but don't own a Telluride.

I joined the forum to get as much information as possible prior to a planned purchase.

I wonder what percentage of members are also current owners; decided to post a poll question.

@mattcantwin Good question👍🏾. I myself haven't purchased yet, just here to get an idea what to look for when I do purchase and what issues users are experiencing. I would like to know if there are any formal 'Kia' notices/bulletins that says what issues owners have experienced and what Kia is doing about them whether it's the windshield, electrical, etc. But I guess that would prob hurt their sales. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Speaking just for myself - I'm a forum member, but don't own a Telluride.

I joined the forum to get as much information as possible prior to a planned purchase.

I wonder what percentage of members are also current owners; decided to post a poll question.

That’s a very good point, but that means that out of 563 members, only 60 members were actual KT owners to equal the 5% window replacement rate. I would think actual owners were significantly higher than 60 members at that time.

The calculated national estimate was 10 times higher in magnitude compared to this forum. If I remember correctly, I think this forum currently boasts over 1500 members (can’t verify since the mobile website doesn’t show that info) and I don’t recall any new reports of defective windshields that would significantly drive up the percentage.

I know this doesn’t make those who have to pay over $1k to get their windshields replaced better, but I think we need to put things into perspective. Believe me, I’ve had to replace my windshields so many time it’s not funny. This day in age it seems like that’s part of the risk of driving.

I know there are many variables that’s not accounted for or impossible to consider. This was just a food for thought exercise to put into perspective the magnitude (not exact numbers) of the problem.

Damage to new car windows is a common problem. People own a car for years, never had a problem with the windshield. They get a new car that has a different profile and they get all the chips and cracks they seem to avoid in the past. They change their driving habits and the chips and cracks stop, for some strange reason.

What is happening? Well the driver listens to fed back from the car. They where road debris hitting the car, they subconsciously move the car out of the impact zone. They get use to this zone because it is giving them less feed back on road debris. They then drive the new car in the same zone, the profile changes with the new car, the impact zone also changes. They start getting hit by more road debris. If they don't adjust to the new profile and they get a cracked windshield.

It is all about luck and timing. You will subconsciously move the new car until you feel less road debris. But if your luck runs out before you make the change, then you are going to have a bad day. And that is not the complete short of it, you can get a cracked window at any time. Just bad things happen. A meteor could hit your car.

I can go to any forum on any model of car and find a thread just like this one. Everyone of them will blame the manufacture for the producing weak windows. They will try to pass it off as defects or one offs. The reality is they simply got unlucky with a new car. I understand it is a pain the butt and expensive, but there is almost zero chance of production problem with the windsheild. They are subjected some some serous test before leaving the plant.

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
Damage to new car windows is a common problem. People own a car for years, never had a problem with the windshield. They get a new car that has a different profile and they get all the chips and cracks they seem to avoid in the past. They change their driving habits and the chips and cracks stop, for some strange reason.

What is happening? Well the driver listens to fed back from the car. They where road debris hitting the car, they subconsciously move the car out of the impact zone. They get use to this zone because it is giving them less feed back on road debris. They then drive the new car in the same zone, the profile changes with the new car, the impact zone also changes. They start getting hit by more road debris. If they don't adjust to the new profile and they get a cracked windshield.

It is all about luck and timing. You will subconsciously move the new car until you feel less road debris. But if your luck runs out before you make the change, then you are going to have a bad day. And that is not the complete short of it, you can get a cracked window at any time. Just bad things happen. A meteor could hit your car.

I can go to any forum on any model of car and find a thread just like this one. Everyone of them will blame the manufacture for the producing weak windows. They will try to pass it off as defects or one offs. The reality is they simply got unlucky with a new car. I understand it is a pain the butt and expensive, but there is almost zero chance of production problem with the windsheild. They are subjected some some serous test before leaving the plant.
Agreed. People are not use to their new profile and drive the way they normally do. Most people will find any reason to blame the manufacturer instead of owning their own mistakes.

You can easily tell the difference from a defect and a chip/crack. I drive 4 hours a day behind big rigs with rocks shooting up my windshield with no issues.

I always get full-glass coverage included in my car insurance; have taken advantage of it many times over the years.

Not disputing you or minimizing the problem. I also realize it’s not statistically accurate and has many complex variables, but just food for thought.

276 million registered vehicles

https://hedgescompany.com/automotive-market-research-statistics/auto-mailing-lists-and-marketing/

13-14 million windshield replacement

http://www.carwindshields.info

14/276=5% of vehicles need windshield replacement.

Forum members: 563
Reported Damage: 3

3/563=0.5% window damage.
Seems the list is growing.

ucinn

Staff Member
A lot also has to do with the vehicle..I can promise you that an SUV with a large surface area of glass which is a lot closer to 90 degrees to the road will have more chips/broken glass than a sports car with very little glass surface area and closer to a 45 degree angle to the pavement.